Testing GPS

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by jviss, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jviss

jviss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So, I'm told my new (to me) CF-28 has GPS - how do I verify that it does? Can I just connect to the a COM port with Hyperterm? Is there a simple and small program out there that I can see the GPS output with?

Thanks,

jv

2. jviss

jviss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So, it appears the GPS receiver is present.

First, I installed Maptech Offshore Navigator. The GPS setup wizard seemed to find the GPS on COM4. That seemed to correspond with the CF-28 Service Manual which says the GPS is on "Serial D." The nav program reported "invalid GPS data."

Second, I tried Hyperterm on Com4, 4800, 8, none and 1, no handshaking. HT "failed to connect" to COM4. Quit Offshore Navigator, but same result.

Restarted Windows (2k), tried HT again, same settings, and I got NMEA sentences. Yea! Don't know what it was saying, but at least it's present.

So now - I'd really like to have a simple program that can display in English what the GPS receiver is saying, including satellite info, etc. Anyone?

Regards,

jv

3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Google "Winfastgps download" and see what you get. It's my understanding that it is a freeware app that allows you to tweak your GPS settings. It also has satellite data.

Give it a try and let us know....

4. Action

Action Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just wondering is it showing up in the Device Manager and what the info of it is? Easier then pulling it out to find that info.

5. jviss

jviss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's not in a slot - it's mounted to the inside of the top part of the bottom case, on the left. The antenna is a bump on the left side. It's cabled to COM4, so it doesn't show up in device manager.

I would recommend a cheap USB or Bluetooth GPS reciever, which will work as well or better, and is much less costly to add.

6. Action

Reputations:
    Does it show up in DMI Viewer??

7. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I see what you are talking about... I was looking at CF-28s on ebay. (Something I do every day for some reason.) I saw a picture of the installation and the little hump on the side. Do you give up the phone and ethernet jacks for the GPS?

8. Action

Reputations:
    Toughbook, can you link me the pic?? As i have seen in the config site the option of having Lan/Wifi/Moden and GPS. So there must be a way of having all of them.

9. jviss

jviss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No, the bump for the GPS antenna is on the left, the Ethernet and phone on the right.

I haven't yet gotten a fix with the GPS receiver, so I don't know if it "all" works, but it does transmit some NMEA sentences on the serial port.

10. DJACID

DJACID Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    what gps software are you using?????
    my one connects straight away when i use navigator...
    (when i mean straight away it more like 8-10secs)