[Test] Aorus X5

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Mr Najsman, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This result differs from your previous claim:
    Also, why did you choose to have the graph drawn over the course of one hour? By doing so, you make it harder for us to verify that you saw zero frequency fluctuation from power throttling.
    Could you please start the XTU stress test, then open HWInfo immediately after, and take a screenshot right before the test ends? If the reported minimum value is still 3492 MHz across all cores upon completion, I'll tip my hat to you. I also get a flath graph for the frequency, but HWInfo will pick up on frequency drops that occur for brief moments. I end up with at least one core not having sustained the turbo clock for the full 5 minutes. No core ever drops below 3GHz. The tiny bit of throttling I'm witnessing usually kicks in past the 2 minute mark, and I have plenty of thermal headroom.

2. Mr Najsman

Mr Najsman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At stock voltage it starts to Power throttle at the 2-minute mark, temps are good though:

[​IMG]

Undervolted -70 mV to 1.041 V it holds the full test, 3.491,7 on all cores. Temps are actually a little higher but I didn´t let it cool after the stock test so not completely fair comparison:

[​IMG]

Convel likes this.
  3. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    upload_2016-1-30_10-23-42.png

Convel likes this.
  4. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    upload_2016-1-30_10-25-3.png

10 minutes straight
    75c no throttling no change.

5. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm... Once again, I saw slight throttling on one core while undervolted and more severe throttling at stock voltages.

1st run, undervolted:
    [​IMG]

2nd run, stock voltages:
    [​IMG]

@stamar: Thanks for the latest upload. It's nice to see a second flat graph for the core frequency. You weren't able to replicate CPU overclocking without throttling though, were you? Not that it's a big deal. Seeing X5s maintining their turbo boost throughout stress testing is good enough.

6. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have yes but i am not interested in that project at the moment. I did last summer undervolt and overclock

7. Mr Najsman

Mr Najsman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see your voltage is higher than mine. My stock is 1.110V and yours is around 1.144V. And I can undervolt to 1.041V while your lowest seem to be 1.072V. That´s probably why you still see slight power throttling. Now if you lost the silicon lottery or I and stamar won it I don´t know.

I did some game testing as well. GTA V and Crysis 3 now peaks at 82C and 89C respectively and are holding max clocks. BF4 still creeps up to 96C and thermal throttles though not as much.
    I have updated the OP with this info.

Edit: I overclocked it to try and force a power throttle and mine does in XTU:

[​IMG]
    3.7 GHz, undervolted & repasted

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  8. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My x5was actually stolen.

And as much as I did like it I'm going with alienware so good luck.

The biggest thing for me on a laptop is the screen. Alienware has a better screen for less at my time of purchase so I'm going for the 17r3.

A new x5 Would be so expensive .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.