[Test] Aorus X5

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Mr Najsman, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Najsman

Mr Najsman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    *UPDATE* After having repasted the cooling is much improved. See below original post please.

Original:
    The Aorus X5 was launched in 2015 adding a 15-incher to their lineup and Gigabyte has been kind enough to send me a unit for testing.

My specification:
    Aorus X5 - http://www.aorus.com/Product/Features/X5
    i7-5700HQ 3.5 GHz
    SLI GTX 965M 4 GB
    15.6" 2880x1620 IPS G-SYNC
    2x256 GB SSD Liteon + 1 TB 7200 HGST
    16 GB DDR3

The X5 is very similar to the X7 both in appearance and size (apart from the screen real estate). The X5 comes in at 390 x 272 x 22.9 mm and 2.5 kg making it thin and light and very easy to handle.

To test the X5 in terms of gaming performance and cooling potential I did my usual test suite. Intel XTU to find lowest stable undervolt for the CPU, benchmarks and games were run at this undervolt and stock. All tests were run with the laptop elevated on a cooler and fans set to 100% in Command and Control.

Stock voltage for this 5700HQ is 1,110V. Lowest stable undervolt in Intel XTU was -80 mV landing at 1,032V. Real life voltage was later tuned to -70mV (1,042V) due to Battlefield 4.

[​IMG]
    Intel XTU stress test at -80 mV

Benchmarks used were 3DMark11 and Firestrike. Games were Battlefield 4, Crysis 3 and GTA V.
    The behaviour was the same in all benchmarks and games: The CPU overheated and throttled, the GPUs ran really cool and gameplay ranged from decent to smooth. I didn´t experience any freezes or stutters related to drops in CPU speed. The only exception was Crysis 3 running at 3K High but that one is just too much to handle for this kind of hardware no matter the temps.

[​IMG]
    CPU and GPU temp and speed

Generally gameplay was decent at 3K and smooth at 1080p.

[​IMG]
    Gaming performance

BF4 1080p Ultra

BF4 3K High

Crysis 3 1080p Very High

Crysis 3 3K High

GTA V 1080p Very High

GTA V 3K High

In summary the CPU reached 95-97C in every benchmark and game, this was with the laptop elevated, max fans and undervolted CPU. A repaste would probably have helped, something I didn´t do. However gameplay didn´t seem to suffer from the throttling CPU and even GTA V at 3K High felt smooth. Considering the GPUs never exceeded 70C the cooling design should in my opinion be shifted a bit from the GPUs to the CPU.

UPDATE: After some discussion in this thread I decided to repaste the CPU (and GPUs) to see how much gain could be reached. Turns out quite alot. Max temps were now below 90C for the CPU except for BF4 which still creeped up to 96C. Though it would´t throttle as much in BF4 as with stock paste (3.09 GHz instead of 2.89 GHz).
    XTU stress test, GTA V and Crysis 3 reached 82C, 82C and 89C respectively.

Of particular note is the 5700HQ wouldn´t power throttle either. In all tests save BF4 it held max clocks throughout. It could possibly be pushed to power throttle in these games as well with certain settings and in certain CPU-intensive levels. But I haven´t played through them to play anywhere and I´ve also held on to this review unit for far too long already and need to return it.

I also overclocked it to see if I could force the power throttle and it does indeed happen in XTU stress test.

[​IMG]]
    3.7 GHz, undervolted & repasted

But I´m glad a thin laptop as an Aorus can be undervolted and repasted to adequately cool the CPU, if not in all applications and situations.

Here´s gameplay with undervolted and repasted CPU:

BF4 undervolted & repasted

Crysis 3 undervolted & repasted

GTA V undervolted and repasted

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    steberg likes this.
  2. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have repasted mine and overclocked the cpu never gets into the 80s

You will understand when you repaste What is going on.

There are 2 heat synchs on each gpu.

2 arms from one and one arm from the other connect at the cpu. A bar connects them they are not welded.

So it is not even and you will see one gpu is over cooled

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  3. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My cpu never throttles.

I even had pictures here of pictures I took of the repasting.

Where as many other laptops throttle the gpu that will never ever happen in the x5 it is cold.

The 965m at max overclock with this heat sync is cold.

4. Mr Najsman

Reputations:
    I´m aware of the cooling design of the X5. That´s amazing having your CPU in the 70s even overclocked, what paste did you use?
    Even more impressive is the neverthrottling 5700HQ. Do me a favor, run Intels XTUs stress test for 5 minutes and show me a screenshot of XTU and HWinfo. If it doesn´t powerthrottle at the 2-2.5 minutemark that´s probably a world first.

Since Maxwells release most laptops that throttle do so on the CPU. The GPUs were not the issue on this X5, they never exceeded 70C.

5. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sure I will

Not undervolted or anything over here and I rrepasted months ago it has come up to the 80s since then

I can run the 3dmark etc with no throttling at all

I used gellid ultra

6. Mr Najsman

Reputations:
    I have to say I had my doubts regarding your claims and I repasted my X5 with Gelid. The results do seem much better. It still creeps up to 92-93C in GTA V and Crysis 3 but it no longer throttles.

I´m gonna try to get some more tests done before I return it.

7. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine is repasted with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra and stays below 70°C during a CPU-only stress test. No thermal throttling during gaming either. Did you guys really get completely rid of the TDP throttling observed during an Intel XTU stress test though?

8. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You have your doubts why? You think I'm making something up?

Sorry bud one of us has absolutely no idea what they are talking about and one of us has tested his laptop hundreds of times since last summer

I have my doubts about anything you say i have my doubts you even know what repasting is. I have my doubts we need to waste any more time with you at all.

9. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    after 2 mins 30 seconds of the intel xtu stress test
    my package temperature is 72c no throttling

do you have any pictures of repasting your x5? No? Really?

upload_2016-1-29_13-4-3.png

Attached Files:

10. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    and at the end of the 5 minute stress test the temperature was 79c

after which because the fans were on max it fell to 49c almost within 10 seconds as you can see

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.