Tesla's CyberTruck Reveal the Evening of Thursday November 21st

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by hmscott, Nov 18, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Will the Tesla truck be a real vehicle you can pre-order / order Thursday? It's supposed to be a Cybertruck, but "nothing I've seen rendered so far is close" - Elon, so it's gonna be "unique". Not too much longer to wait to see it... how long to order?

Elon Musk @elonmusk Nov 15
    Cybertruck unveil Thursday night [Nov 21st, 2019]
    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1195504767818055680

Tesla Cyber Truck Predictions! | In Depth
    Now You Know
    Published on Nov 15, 2019
    On today's episode of "In Depth" Zac & Jesse speculate on what we could possibly see at next week's Tesla Pickup Truck Unveiling!

The Tesla CYBERTRUCK!
    Jon Rettinger
    Published on Nov 13, 2019
    We are about a week away from an official Tesla announcement of the new Cybertruck. Here is what I believe will be in Tesla's new electric pickup truck. Do you agree or disagree?

2. hmscott

Reputations:
    Some of the Unveil Coverage...

Up Close and Personal with the Crazy All-New Tesla CYBERTRUCK!
    Nov 21, 2019
    The Fast Lane Truck
    Here is what the new Tesla Cybertruck looks like up close and personal, inside and out.

Tesla CyberTruck Impressions & First Drive!
    Nov 22, 2019
    Marques Brownlee
    Tesla Cybertruck pickup is finally real, and holy hell what a design. The Cybertruck: https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck

Tesla Cybertruck Unveiled! | In Depth
    Nov 22, 2019
    Now You Know
    On today's episode of "In Depth" Zac & Jesse give you their reactions to last night's Tesla Cybertruck unveiling!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  3. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The unveiling got local radio coverage due to the embarassing mishap when the bulletproof nature of the vehicle was to be demonstrated, with the glass shattering twice instead. They likened the presentation to the infamous Windows 98 crash on stage at COMDEX 1998.

Really though, did the designers run out of polygons? What's the drag coefficient of this thing?

hmscott likes this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Tesla wanted Blade Runner. They got Blade Runner 2049.

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    If you've never seen bullet proof glass shatter, that's how it happens. It has sacraficial layers that absorbs energy and distributes the force focal point across the pane into the structure that holds it.

It was a nice "jump scare" to get everyone's attention though, wasn't it. :)

How Durable is a BULLET PROOF Car?!
    JerryRigEverything
    Mar 8, 2018
    How do you make a bullet proof car? Today we are going to find out. Armor Max invited Dan and I to come shoot some of their armored vehicles, and the results re pretty amazing! Check them out here: https://www.armormax.com/

50cal vs Bulletproof Glass!
    Jun 7, 2016
    I am going to get this glass in every window in my house. :) Edit: I thought the Hillary thing was clearly a joke.......apparently it was not clear enough. This is a gun channel...... run by a gun enthusiasts...... from Texas. Yeehaw, giddyup.

In retrospect, the sledge hammer against the CyberTruck door showed little or no damage, but the shattered layer(s) of glass got everyone's attention in comparison, making the contrast between the two "attacks" a good show.

It's likely the difference between the ball drop and throw was the glass was held in the door with "imperfect" attachments that allowed the force to be focused back and break the glass. I'm sure Tesla will fix it before shipping in 2 years, or they will drop the idea of using bullet proof glass. ;)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    In depth review of specifications and initial impressions in person "the truck looks... odd", actually it's starting to grow on me as I see it in action from more angles. That "bed-cover" roll-down is awesome. With the bed uncovered and the tailgate down, looks like a lot of room to haul ****. Prices are good too. Not so sure about off road. Tesla made good on his "no one has guessed with their guesses as to how it really looks".

Can the Tesla CYBERTRUCK Compete against the Ford F-150 and Rivian R1T? Let's Find Out!
    Nov 23, 2019
    The Fast Lane Truck
    Can the Tesla CYBERTRUCK Compete against the Ford F-150 and Rivian R1T? Let's Find Out!

A.C Burke 11 minutes ago
    "Teslas truck design is the best designed truck for someone who had never drove or owned a truck........"

That is what it looks like at first, but like I said, it's growing on me. I'd never in the past have bought a truck. SUV for off-road at best, but I just don't have a need for a truck. A Ranchero fits me better, but missed those years by a while. To me it looks like Tesla has a new SUV / Ranchero that really is a truck - for those that don't buy trucks.

The question is, how many traditional truck buyers will find the Cybertruck fits their needs? Even the name will chase away most of the guys I know that drive consumer trucks - there must be more cross over now for the union of BladeRunner fans and truck owners, but maybe not.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    My reaction:

No...

saturnotaku, Convel and hmscott like this.
  8. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apples and oranges. A blunt object was thrown, a bullet wasn't fired. In a demo meant to show how rugged a product is, you don't showcase how it's damaged when its threshold is exceeded. If everything went according to plan, Elon Musk wouldn't have acted surprised or joked about how the ball didn't go through.
    It wasn't intentional. Von Holzhausen was asked to "try to break the glass", with the expectation being that he wouldn't be able to, hence the second attempt on another glass panel when it broke. Maybe the glass itself is bulletproof, but it was a failed demo nonetheless, and that particular part of the unveiling is continuing to pick up press coverage.

9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Well, another way to look at it is that is indeed how they would set up the jump scare.

Seriously, can you believe they never tried that? I can't imagine any other outcome for that force at that distance from and against such materials. Tesla people must have seen that exact same outcome a high percentage of the time. And, the "Tesla Armor" engineers would have known exactly what would have happened, in advance.

Failed appearance or not it's minor for the function of the truck, creates a good hook to carry media coverage of the event - Tesla failed, but hey, look at that wild truck... I wonder what the specs are... wow, wild, how much does it cost??

2 years from now when your $100 roles into a new Tesla Truck, you'll laugh at the bullet proof glass stunt, uncheck the bullet-proof glass option from the configuration sheet, and add-on some other option instead. Bullet-proof glass manufacturing isn't cheap, neither is installation - as well as being tricky - but it makes a great stage show.

Hmm, Self-driving off-road? I wonder what will make it on to the options list by then?

Holy Tesla Cybertruck Elon...
    Nov 23, 2019
    Lew Later
    Cybertruck is here to roam planet earth. What a time to be alive.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  10. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It wasn't a jump scare to me, and when Musk has to finish the demo by saying "There's room for improvement.", it's not a positive for brand perception. A minor embarrassment in the grand scheme of things, but it just fails to have an upturn.
    I believe they tested it, just not well enough. I suspect they only have one prototype, so they probably tested the glass by itself rather than attached to the vehicle. Here's Musk's own statement regarding testing:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-glass-break-elon-musk-pickup-truck/
    I agree that the purported specs are impressive in their own right, but the truck itself is rather polarising. It appears a lot of people who aren't Tesla loyalists won't follow your suggested train of thought:

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/11/tesla-stock-falls-nearly-7-after-the-unveiling-of-cybertruck/
    https://www.complex.com/life/2019/1...ps-768-million-dollars-after-cybertruck-debut

hmscott likes this.