Tesla Roadster 2.0 announced.

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Support.2@XOTIC PC, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I can't imagine a Ferrari electric supercar....literally the exact opposite of Ferrari. They already have a hybrid hyper car (LaFerrari) but full electric seems pointless. Ferrari's most prominent cars are lightweight, mid engine, balanced and high revving. And there's only so much "faster" electric cars can get, and they don't really have top end power.

2. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Right now that is. I figure they're not done with this sort of thing yet. Musk seems like the type that won't be satisfied until ha makes something that outdoes ICE in every measurement. Though I'm sure even that won't shut up skeptics.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    But see I don't think that's even the point. Nothing is going to beat an ICE for long distance travel, unless there's some magical unicorn technology that can fully charge an EV in 5-10 minutes. I'm sure it'll come eventually.

4. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    I recall they've got prototypes right now that address that, but I really think part of the problem is lack of information. I'd love to see more cars track their own stats and compare them to other vehicles so people see how much or how little they use certain features or capabilities of their cars. I think if that information were public and comparable, a lot of folks (not including car enthusiasts, I'm talking average Joe users here) would use that information when making a decision for their next car and would find out that electrics are well within their normal use envelope.

5. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When thinking about hybrid systems, the Hy-Kers found in the LaFerrari isn't the first one that springs to mind. Surely performance-oriented, but not a true hybrid like the comparable 918. As energy-density increases in batteries and then supercapacitors, allowing weight and charging times to go down and range to go up, any sports car marque would be digging their own grave by not offering electric vehicles of their own. I agree that it's a huge shift for a company with such a rich racing pedigree, but it's a huge shift to everyone who traditionally sells fossil fuel cars. Performance aside, then comes the tedious task of making the production of said vehicles more cost-effective and greener. It's hardly a good thing that the increased production will make us more reliant on rare-earth minerals and increase our need for proper battery disposal, but at least those issues are far more contained than exhaust spewed from millions of tailpipes.

6. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Reputations:
    Also it leaves open the possibility of recycling those materials in the future.

Convel likes this.