Tesla Model 3... Anyone?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by KPot2004, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I put my deposit down pretty early, I figured for only $1,000 WTH, its always refundable.. Like I said before, my cousin works for Tesla and also owns a model S 60 that I've driven quite a few times and I've been lucky enough to try a 85 too. Although the S had several early issues, they've since been fixed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/7Q249CsuCm/?taken-by=kirkpotter

Only issues I see with the 3 is how Tesla advertises the tax credit, when the majority of Model 3 buyers wont qualify for it.

hmscott and Mitlov like this.
  2. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    Not a huge fan of the interior. It's preliminary as I notice it's missing vents and what seems to be a driver instrument cluster (although apparently some articles claim it's all contained in the centre console so not sure), but I've never been a fan of the "stuck on iPad" look that many car makers are going for their interiors. Still, at the 35k mark, it's still quite good.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I dunno, the $35k price point has cars like the Nissan Maxima, Toyota Avalon, VW CC, and Mercedes C-Class, and this interior really doesn't look competitive in terms of quality.

Jarhead likes this.
  4. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    Well quality is hard to judge based on photos. The design of the cabin isn't very inspiring perhaps, but it seems it's more geared towards the car eventually integrating the autonomous driving software (hence the lack of an instrument cluster) than towards driving itself.

I'm not a big fan but seems many people like it somehow.

5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Oh my, the pain one's neck would have looking right on that tablet for speedometer...
    And I'm still not sure how I feel about touchscreens in cars. Mild thing, sure, why not. But replace everything with a single touchscreen is madness in my eyes.

6. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    I can see using a touchscreen for most of the central console functions. I have a small 7" touchscreen display that deals with my stereo, phone sync, and trip data for my car.

But I would want analog controls for the climate control system. I'm old school that way.

killkenny1 likes this.
  7. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Well yeah, this is exactly my point. For satnav, radio station switching, etc. minor things touch screen is fine, but volume, AC, more commonly used thing physical buttons/knobs are better.
    Also, roads here aren't exactly smooth, so another reason to have physical controls for frequently used features.

8. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Right, I'd want physical controls for common functions that I'll be adjusting every time I'm in the car, ie AC and audio volume. At the very least, there should be a control knob interface like the ones on Mazdas, German cars, etc. In terms of the instrument cluster, the only way that would be acceptable would be if there were a heads up display...

killkenny1 likes this.
  9. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Agree, but apparently this is a "cheap" (or affordable, call it how you want), so that feature isn't realistic at that price range, at least for now.
    But HUD would be great in such car.

10. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    HUD used to be a premium ultra-luxury option seen only on BMW 7-series, Mercedes Benz S-classes, etc, but it's made it quite far down-market. The Mazda3, for example, has an available HUD display, and it's standard with upper trim models.

So, I wouldn't say it's unrealistic in a $35k car, especially given some of the other luxuries that the Model 3 will allegedly come standard with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.