Tesla Model 3... Anyone?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by KPot2004, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Not only the Prius (ew), but a fair number of minivans also have dash-mounted shifters.

2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    The new Ram Trucks also have dash mounted electric shift knobs.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Hey look, I found someone who clearly isn't in the BMW I3's target market in the first place!

4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I don't think it was that hard :D

Mitlov likes this.
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Hyundai's Ioniq should deliver a far more traditional interior out of an electric car for people who don't like either the wood-and-cloth BMW i3 approach or the sci-fi-inspired Prius (edit: I know the Prius isn't electric, but it is the definitive eco-car in many people's minds):

[​IMG]

Jarhead likes this.
  6. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My cousin works for Tesla and also personally owns a Model S, I've driven it a few times and absolutely loved it.

I have a feeling Tesla will get a lot of Model 3 orders just on name recognition alone, everyone is convinced Tesla will build the BEST affordable electric car.. Maybe they will, but I'm not convinced. IMO the big drawback of the "cheap" electric cars so far has been crappy range.. 200 mile ranges will appeal to a lot of people that would otherwise not even consider one.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Tesla is going to sell a TON based on name recognition. But selling innovative, market-disrupting $100,000 cars doesn't mean that you can make $30,000 practical cars. Especially when your $100,000 cars are known for being luxurious but unreliable.

8. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Well, it's been revealed, the Tesla Model 3. Price reaffirmed to be starting at $35k before tax credits and first deliveries in 2017. Base model will have a range of 215 miles.

[​IMG]

Personally not a fan of the front fascia, although I think the rest of it looks fine. Proportions and lines are nice but not astounding. Don't really like how they've consolidated literally everything into the one screen in the center of the console. Without some sort of HUD at the very least, that's terrible driving ergonomics. Then again, clearly the 3 isn't being targeted towards people like me :p

Mitlov likes this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Most of the price difference is supposed to be made up by economies of scale in battery production.

Combining the production of the Powerwall Battery and the Car Battery Production, and pushing that production up by 10x, all in the same new optimized production facility gives Tesla the edge in battery price reduction, and therefore an increase in battery density / mileage / power.

Not sure how the big 3 will face this challenge. Just as the need for ramped up production hits, they will be fighting for battery production capacity, while Tesla will just knock down another internal wall and extend production :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Hmm, looks like, though it's a bit weird that it doesn't have a grill (not that it needs one, but you get used to seeing them on cars).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.