Tesla Model 3... Anyone?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by KPot2004, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone planning on putting a $1,000 deposit down on the new Tesla model 3 in April?

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Without even seeing the car? Come on, if a $60 game pre-order is a bad idea, and I think it is, pouring down money on a car we know nothing about (officially) is far far far crazier.

Elon Musk may have a Jobs-esque cult of personality, but that doesn't mean that the Model 3 is going to be a better car then the Chevy Bolt or BMW i3.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Don't believe in pre-orders, but I'm definitely interested in getting one in a few years. All boils down to how good Telsa's support is in my neck of the woods by then.

Bolt would be a nice alternative, but Chevy imo isn't all that great in designing/implementing car interiors. Hopefully they improve by the time I'm looking for a new car.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    True, GM doesn't have the best reputation for solid interiors, though recent efforts have been far better than what you got 10-20 years ago. On the other hand, while Teslas give a great first impression, they have one of the industry's worst track records for holding up over time (both in terms of interior trim coming loose and also mechanical/electronic reliability problems). Tesla has done a great job with the big picture stuff, but on the nitty gritty details, it's obvious they're a still newcomer to the auto industry.

I do love the BMW i3's interior--probably the best example of an unorthodox eco-car interior that doesn't look like something out of Star Trek--but the i3 just can't compete with the Bolt or the Model 3 when it comes to range.

[​IMG]

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    ^ That BMW interior does look gorgeous. Problem with that car though is the exterior; if I was looking to buy, I'd want something a bit more traditional in looks (the styling of the SmartCar or Fiat 500 Abarth would be as far as I go), but that's just me.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    A great deal of the BMW i3's unorthodox exterior look is actually just the result of the two-tone design. If you get it in "fluid black," eliminating the two-tone effect, it's actually a pretty standard-looking hatchback.

[​IMG]

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Hmm, I do like that in black then... Most of the pictures I've seen are in lighter tones, which highlight the accents a lot more to me. That side-rear window shape could use some work, though.

Mitlov likes this.
  8. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    What...the...heck...is...this?!?
    Oh look, there's a cup holder in place where gearbox lever should be. Nope!

Nope indeed!

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    As for the shifter, there's no objective reason that shifters need to be between the front seats. And they frequently aren't. Many trucks and some older cars have a steering-column-mounted gearshift. The Prius puts a shifter joystick on the center console. Lincoln puts a put-button shifter assembly on the center console. Chrysler and I think Jaguar use rotary dials for shifters.

A stick between the two front seats is the single most common shifter arrangement but it's far from the only one on the market.

10. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Uhmmm, Prius is not a car :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.