Terraria 10/10 a.k.a. 5 stars

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by rschauby, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rschauby

rschauby Superfluously Redundant

Reputations:
    Who plays it?
    Who has no idea what it is?

This game caught my eye back in the beginning of June when it kept appearing high up in the Steam Top Seller list for several weeks in a row (it's still there). I looked at a few videos and some reviews, and decided to watch for it on the Summer Sale. I got lucky and bought the 4-pack for $7.50 before they "corrected" their mistake.

Terraria is the only game in the past 10 years that has brought back that "excitement" that I had for games in my youth. I have put in 60 hours in the past 2 weeks, and I still want more out of this game (only problem is the game is semi-beta and isn't complete; but the devs are patching regularly with more content).

I cannot recommend this game enough. I told my friend about my intentions to buy this game, and his response was "it looks stupid and I hate retro games". After giving him his copy the other week and forcing him to play, he purchased it for his wife last week, and he has been playing it non-stop for 40+ hours.

If you're an older gamer and desperately seeking to find that "magic" that was video games from your younger days, your search is over and the game is here: Terraria.

2. assaultsuit

assaultsuit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I cannot agree more with you. I bought it on the summer sale too for 2.5$. Still playing Singleplayer and not too many hours YET (King's Bounty is guilty of that, so addictive!), but is one of the best game I've played. LOVE the retro looks! Too bad there's no Mac version, so I could give my wife a copy too.

3. Jasp

Jasp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Amazing game with lots of replay value, Hell is a PITA tho end up dead in their within seconds normally by falling into lava lol.

4. Bearclaw

Bearclaw Steaming

Reputations:
    I've gotten everything there is to get in the game and have gotten bored.

5. i has m11x

i has m11x Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've put 30 hours into it but haven't played it in a few weeks. I am waiting for the next update then I am going to start all over.

6. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    I also bought this game during the Steam sale and I've been having a little trouble getting into it.

What do you suggest for a newb to do first?

7. assaultsuit

assaultsuit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can check some videos... I saw some from that author

8. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The issue with terraria is that it is an open game with no particular set of goals or anything to achieve, except what you want to achieve. So basically you create large worlds and nothing else.

What can I suggest? Get goals. My first goal was to get a set of armor, so I just started looking for ores around, learning about crafting and getting my armor.

Then set high end goals. For example, i wanted to fight and beat the current bosses. To do that, I had to get weapons and armor plus provisions. After a while, minimg more, exploring more, and beating my first boss, more things uncovered.

Now I have beat up all the bosses, and just focused on gettin the awesome loot and equipments.

9. Jasp

Jasp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tbh the bosses at the mo seem a little od, skeltron is supposed to be the hardest boss but me and my m8 put it down faster then the eater of worlds. Yet you need to kill the eater of the worlds to make any decent armour after gold and a nightmare pickaxe.

10. Manic Penguins

Manic Penguins [+[ ]=]

Reputations:
    Played the leaked version then brought it on release, now have just under 50 hours clocked but it's "been on the shelf" for a few weeks now. Great game, just not much to do once you get all the loot and if I want to build I just play Minecraft. Waiting on the next big update (as with MC). :D

Definatly a game worth buying if only to support smaller devs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.