Temperature Throttle at 80ºC prevents me from getting a good framerate on PUBG

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by xDivoided, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is one of the best suggestions I can think of... and while you're inside the laptop, also clean out the vents and fans from dust manually.

Additionally, you could try undervolting both the CPU and GPU... that in itself should help drop temperatures by quite a bit as well.. between 5 to 10 degrees C (depending on how low you can go with the voltage).

ShineGlizzy and KY_BULLET like this.
  2. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    the 800M series were never great to begin with.

hmscott likes this.
  3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    They were pretty good for their time (4 years ago)

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Not 880M. A fiasco card.

hmscott and don_svetlio like this.
  5. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    "Temp throttle at 80c"
    *waited for ASUS*
    "What's your model?"
    "ASUS <model>"

See, I waited for it. I found it. And people wonder why I don't let others buy ASUS if I can help it.

As for you OP, you have some avenues of fixing ahead of you. First, know that the 850M was not even a gaming card last generation (GM107, aka Maxwell powerful office class card). PLEBG is not going to do well on it. Now, what you can do is -

- Repaste it properly, make sure temps are as low as you can get them. Make sure your fans are clean too.
    - Lock PLEBG's framerate somehow to both an acceptable framerate and one that doesn't overtax your GPU much, so that it doesn't heat up as much. RTSS is the best tool for this.
    - Lower the demanding graphics if you haven't already.

You won't be able to surpass the 80c throttle, and you should actually be slightly glad since most ASUS notebooks had a 75c throttle with the 860M, so your 850M has a whole 5°C allowance that others normally don't. But it's not going to be fixable. And sadly, that's what you get for choosing ASUS.