Tell me what I want what I really really want! Aero 15x vs NRB

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Flip1, Jul 12, 2018.

?

Which thin and light should I get?

1. Aero 15x

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Razer Blade 15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MSI GS65

66.7%
  4. Other

33.3%
  1. Flip1

Flip1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm going ahead and removing any question I feel is unnecessary .

General Questions
    1) What is your budget? ~2500 USD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light;
    d. 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook?
    Canada

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Software development and gaming. Some photo editing but nothing major.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes, I will be lugging it on the daily.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, all your usual suspects.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    4 minimum

Screen Specifics

I believe these all have very similar screens. 144hz is key.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Looks no, build quality absolutely.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within a month.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    ALAP

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, long story short I've been searching for my next laptop for the last couple weeks. I've played around with quite a few and decided I wanted a thin and light. I've checked out the msi gs65, aero15x, razer blade 15, xps15, and a few others. I believe I've narrowed it down to the razer blade 15 and aero15x, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Build quality matters a lot to me, but warranty does just as well. The razer blades build quality feels great, but the aero 15x comes with an extra year warranty (2 years vs 1), which I get extended through my insurance company (so 3 years vs 2). This is the major debate for me at the moment, I'm not 100% sold on either of their support teams from what I've read, though I haven't had to deal with either of them personally. Does the build quality of the blade make up for the year? I'm not so sure..

The price is similar between the two, purchasing the razer through the microsoft store brings the prices pretty much in line with a cool 10% off. Gigabyte I've noticed comes with 1 16gb stick so that would save some costs in upgrading, but I'd probably swap out hard drives no matter which I pick. I like that the aero has a better port selection, but the track pad and keyboard feel worse to me. The aero having a little more battery life doesn't hurt, but I don't think the razers is so bad that I'd have trouble getting through my day.

So, anybody had experience long term with both of these? Any other suggestions?

What do I want?!?!

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    if you value Build Quality - avoid Razer. Their PCB design and soldering jobs are horrid from what I've seen. Not to mention Razer customer support is the worst you can get out of any laptop OEM. Really, don't bother.

If you ask me, it's either the Aero 15x, GS65 or Zephyrus M that you should be looking at.

If you want battery life - Aero as that is the only one that can get something decent out of its battery.

Kent T likes this.
  3. Flip1

Flip1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I looked briefly at the zephyrus but the bottom panel seemed really flimsy. With only 1 year warranty looked like an accident waiting to happen.

4. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    I mean, unless you're really careless, it shouldn't be an issue.