TDP and Power Limiting (Haswell)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Dufus, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Rimas

Rimas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    the weirdest damn thing was that after a crash my clocks reset, so I put them back to 36 multi and looked at the stress test. No more throttling, didn't eve have to undervolt so much!
    weird!

2. Thinh Bui

Thinh Bui Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi MarcusC. I'm also using the 7447 with later CPU i7-4720. I'm also really tired of the throttle problem, looking for solution for months. Finally found this topic and I can know the reason is the power limit. So the only soution is touching the bios to unlock power limit?

3. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    The proper solution is to properly modify EC and/or BIOS while working within the constraints of the hardware.

It can be possible to trick Haswell with regards to power levels without a BIOS mod, just software. The problem is battery operation. If a small battery tries to deliver much more power than it was designed to do then that could lead to explosion/fire if the hardware limits are not sufficient in such cases.

4. Curamrda

Curamrda Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Dufus.
    I have read your first post, but I really didnt got it :) But if you can raise TDP on Haswell, is it also possible on Skylake i7-6560U ? I would really need to raise it up 5W, since I have in full load 70°C.

5. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    The jist is to properly raise power levels usually an EC firmware mod is required as well as having the settings available to change.

Maybe some of the techniques work to bypass power limiting but without data for Skylake I couldn't tell you off hand. I've never owned Skylake.

6. Miki.m

Miki.m Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Dufus,

I have even i7-6650. It seems very powerful and is equipped with quite powerful GPU in comparison to Intel HD, but PL is really suffering. It even doesn't allow Iris GPU only to run at full speed once PL1 applies, and if runs with CPU cores simultaneously they are throttled down to just 1,2GHz (max. freq. is 3,4GHz) with less than 70°C. I think there is lot of space for 5 to 10W power increase.

HWinfo showed PL settings unlocked thus I tried Intel Extreme tuning utility to set up higher values. Even ET utility successfully updated PL values (I verified settings in HWinfo as well) PL still behave exactly same - PL2 25W and after 28 sec. just 15W.

Hence I think the only way to circumvent CPU to work harder is to tweak information from core voltage regulator about current power consumption as you mentioned here before. I don't think it's necessary to modify BIOS if such option is not available there (unfortunately Dell is not tweaking friendly) - modifying bootloader is much easier and there is lot of space to configure any registers before OS start there even if configuration is impossible from OS user space as well.

But your help will be very welcomed. First how to identify core voltage regulator model without notebook disassembly? It’s connected via I2c and many utilities communicate with it to setup voltage or voltage parameters so it must be possible to identify it somehow. Second question is how to access registers or where to find information how to access them?

Thanks for help.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  7. Chendragon2099

Chendragon2099 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi

I came across this thread after searching around for some solution for enabling a higher CPU TDP on my system (Aorus X7 V2). A lot of the work I do on the computer is not graphically intensive and requires a powerful processsor, however I noticed that this system throttles the power very aggressively and it will not reach anywhere near TDP under load. The 4860HQ benchmarks worse than the 4702HQ in my Razer Blade.

I'm not really concerned about the battery performance or anything like that on this system, the battery pack has built in protections should the current exceed safe levels. The 200W adapter included with this laptop appears to be more than sufficient to power the CPU to TDP or maybe a little above.

Modding the BIOS/firmware seems like a tedious job, as it seems like it's write protected when I tried to flash it with AFUWIN after editing in AMIBCP. In there there does not seem to be very many useful options that might help this issue either.

I'm very interested in trying the software-only mod mentioned previously in this thread, as it seems like it would allow this system to run to its full potential. The CPU heatsink doesn't even heat up under load right now. I'm willing to take the risks in order to get this extra performance.

It also would seem like increasing the throttle threshhold to 100C would help perhaps. Not sure if there is any way to do this, since the Retina MacBook Pro I was using before this had it set to 104C and that actually performed quite well.

Thanks!

8. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    If the heat sink isn't getting hot when the CPU is loaded, it's not doing its job for some reason (poor contact, manufacturing defect, terrible paste job).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Chendragon2099

Chendragon2099 Newbie

Reputations:
    The heatsink isn't getting hot because the fan speed is high and the heatsink is designed to dissipate 2 GPUs worth of heat as well which are't being loaded at all.

10. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    What are your core temps on the CPU? If the heat sink is dissipating all the heat it's making, it shouldn't be (temp) throttling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk