TDP and Power Limiting (Haswell)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Dufus, Dec 5, 2014.

1. MarcusC

MarcusC Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I use all my Laptops just with AC (at home) and with battery (mobile). Thats my way to extend batterylife :)

However, COULD YOUR EC, PL2 or EDP mod be a solution for my Problem?
    Do I need a unlocked BIOS before?
    (to modify values for maximum current in order to suck more Watt out of the 150Watt AC (PSU)?
    Was your EC reprogramming done by a piece of hardware? (not included in my skillset)
    Or did you use Software? (may I am able to do so as well, if you could share your secrets regarding which software, which tables to change and which values to set)

2. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    Dell adapters seem to be a problem, please discuss this with Dell users or Unclewebb first as suggested. It maybe your problem has already been solved.

If you want to modify the EC with untried firmware best you have a backup of the firmware, an SPI programmer and good soldering skills.

I don't know of any software for adjusting EC values, it certainly would make things a lot easier and much faster. To modify my own EC meant downloading the datasheet for the controller, finding out which registers are used for PECI commands then having to go through the code and work out where the limits were set. It wasn't a case of tables but part of the code.

You would need to find out which controller is used in your Dell then debug the firmware by understanding the underlying code.

MarcusC likes this.
  3. Rimas

Rimas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi!
    I've got an AW18 with the same 4700MQ mentioned in the first thread. Is there a way to stop it from throttling?
    Right now it does this stupid thing:

[​IMG]

Obviously annoying... And this is on stress test, -80mV on core, -50mV cache. It's obviously not heating up either, staying below 80!

Please help! Thank you!

TomJGX likes this.
  4. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    It can run higher power if allowed to. Note that the external VRM switching components need to be kept in temperature spec as well.

You might check limit reasons either with TS8 or HWInfo for a more defined throttling reason.

Check the usual MMIO and MSR registers to see what limits are set in those, RWEverything is good for this or you can use the dump tool listed by Unclewebb.

Here's an example of an i7-4700MQ running the CB11.5 bench. The CPU was drawing about 100W, over double it's TDP spec.
    [​IMG]

5. Rimas

Rimas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How the hell did you manage 44x multi on that CPU? Mine only goes to 36x :/

6. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    He did some BIOS hack...

7. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    How far you can go with the 4700MQ will depend on firmware, hardware and the CPU itself. Scaling on my 4700MQ becomes poor at 4.2GHz and bad at 4.5GHz.

8. Rimas

Rimas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Heck, I'd be happy to reach just 3.8 or 3.9! Any known way to do so on AW18 (R3)?

9. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    You'd have to hack the EC as Dufus explained above.

For your power limit, you should just adjust your limit values in the BIOS or via XTU. You should have the ability to adjust the slider to at least 100W, which I highly doubt your CPU will cross.

TomJGX likes this.
  10. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    @Rimas Certainly not much point trying to run higher clocks if already throttling.