Talk me out of Alienware 17/15 and into NP8672-S / NP8652-S

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Coprhead66, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coprhead66

Coprhead66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,

I was really serious about picking up a refurbished Alienware 17 or 15 with a 980m and adding a Samsung EVO, but then I heard about the power supply and heat issues. Someone referred me to Sager and now I'm really interested!

1) Are you guys aware of any heat/PSU throttling issues?

2) Do you recommend both the 17" and 15" models?

3) How do the 1080p IPS panels stack up against the competition? The screen quality is extremely important to me.

4) Anything else to help sway me to the dark side? Take your best shot at Dell :p

2. i_pk_pjers_i

i_pk_pjers_i Even the ppl who never frown eventually break down

Reputations:
    1) No, we can remove pretty much all unnecessary throttling with the use of Prema's BIOS mods, and with Clevo/Sager laptops you can repaste them easily, mod them with tape, extra heatpipes, lap the heatsinks, etc. That way, temps are low and throttling never occurs.

2) Yes, just like any laptop, pick whatever size you like more.

3) I don't have one - I refuse to buy IPS, the input latency is 3-4x higher than non-IPS which is a no go for gaming IMO.

4) Clevo makes Alienware computers, Alienware sell them way overpriced and rip people off. They aren't bad computers - because they are built by Clevo, they are just overpriced.

3. Zymphad

Zymphad Zymphad

Reputations:
    Doesn't matter, they all suck. They all treat mobile gamers like dirt. They often sell machines knowing hardware issues exist and then refuse to admit to it leaving the customer stranded.

I have not owned a AW but based on forums and my past with Clevo, AW has a better record. My 7970M from Clevo was broken, AMD Endurance wasn't functioning properly and was never fixed. 7970M burnt out because it had the worst soldering job I have ever seen, resistors actually fell off and I did not game with the 7970M overclocked and did not overvolt it since I had cooling issues. AW had the option to turn off Enduro, superior cooling and soldering that didn't look like a blind amateur had done it.

And then I replaced the 7970M with 675MX, but that had throttling issues which I mostly blamed on Optimus. And as mentioned cooling was subpar, it was not competitive with MSI, AW or Asus at the time.

But seems AW loyal customers have been upset the recent models.

Pick your poison and hope for the best.

FYI I only bought Clevo again because the 4790K and guaranteed no Optimus. I wasn't impressed with the mobile i7 at the time I purchased this current machine. If more impressive CPU were available from AW or Asus or MSI with no Optimus, I would have bought them over Clevo.

4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Umm... If a 60hz ips has a 5ms response time... The response time is literally less than a frame. Its completely irrelevant unless you are at 120hz or 144hz. I'm saying this because you should totally buy an ips panel for gaming, just make sure it has a 5 ms response or around there. 1ms response is better, but makes for no actual difference.

5. Zymphad

Zymphad Zymphad

Reputations:
    That would be nice, on P770ZM I know the IPS display is about 25ms.

http://www.panelook.com/LP173WF4-SPD1_LG Display_17.3_LCM_overview_24463.html

6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
  7. alienowl

alienowl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Copprhead66,

I can't help you out on the quality, yet. I was in the same boat as you two weeks ago. I was ready to buy an Alienware, my third actually, but the throttling issues among other things sent me looking. I've been researching and asking questions and have settled on Sager ordered through XoticPC.

Just my opinion, and I know it doesn't have the IPS screen you want, and I don't know what you're looking to spend, but for a couple hundred bucks more, you could get the NP9377-S, and in that machine even have the option for SLI--two GTX980Ms running in perfect harmony. It seems that the machines you have in your post are pretty close to the Alienware models; however, with the Sager machines you are getting the SSD's for about the same price. The CPUs and the GPUs for the Alienware models you have there are not upgradeable. I'm not sure if that's important to you, but that is a selling point of Sager machines. Now I believe that holds true for the Sager models you mention in your OP--they're not upgradeable. If you take the next step up in the Sager machines, or maybe someone might recommend other machines, but if you take the next step to an NP9377-S you can get the upgradability and a GPU with more RAM and more system RAM and an SSD (250GB mSata). In the end, that is the machine I chose over Alienware.

I went for a 17 inch screen. I'm tired of playing on smaller screens. I play at my friend's house every Friday and 17 is gonna be nice for Dying Light. At home, I'm hooked up to an external monitor.

Anyway, good luck with the decision! My Sager should be in a few days.

8. i_pk_pjers_i

i_pk_pjers_i Even the ppl who never frown eventually break down

Reputations:
    Most laptop IPS panels, or at least ones that Clevo tends to use, are at least 16 ms (lowest I have seen) and even go up to 40 ms which is just insane. I'll take 2-6 ms TN panels over 16-40 ms IPS panels any day.

9. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeah, if you are using the computer for gaming then you would want to get a TN panel, or at least find out what the response time on an IPS. As you mentioned, some are good and some get up there in numbers. I don't think I have seen many complaints at all about ghost images on Sager's IPS screens though.

10. ShadowedIce

ShadowedIce Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The ghosting on the NP8652-S isn't terrible, but it is noticeable. If ghosting is something that would be an issue then I would recommend looking for different panels.

11. Samot

Samot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  12. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Compared to TN or compared to other brands? If the latter; no difference, the same panels are used in all brands. At least with Clevo it's up to you to choose from the various options offered by its resellers (like Sager). Some have a rather limited set, others stock a wide range of panels.

For the P650SG (NP8652-S):
    The older, glossy TN is actually even better than the newer IPS. Its faster response time may not make a great difference, but there is something else to consider; you can run a TN@+90Hz, whereas IPS is pretty much fixed to 60Hz (unless it's a G-Sync panel; limited to ~75Hz). Won't have G-Sync on the SG anyway without serious modding. If you are indeed, as you say, serious about 'screen quality'; the V4 is incomparable.

However, the thing is; people say they want a good screen, but what they actually want is an IPS (because they've heard it's 'better'). Place both (unmarked) side-by-side and they point to the quality TN within a second (since the IPS will appear 'washed-out'). But when they hear it's a TN, they'll proceed to buy the expensive IPS, although it's inferior in almost every aspect (same as with Apple, really, except some of the Retinas).

Not sure why you'd choose these particular Clevo models, though. Most abandon AW since it's soldering everything down, barring upgrades and replacements. Yet these two models are soldered as well ... so ... thinness?

13. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I find the 15 vs 17 to be a personal decision based on mobility needs rather than a one is better than the other. Most machines use the same board and cooling.

Riktar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.