Take Full Control of your Razer Blade w/no PL Throttling

Discussion in 'Razer' started by David Kirchik, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Komorebi

Komorebi Newbie

Reputations:
    Ah stupid mistake on my part. Turned out I did not have all the intel drivers installed, which is why it would not go above base clock. Works perfectly after installation.

2. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not it’s 230 watt power adapter but probably Blade Pro 2080maxq pulls all that 230 watt, gpu it self can spike to 140 watt when I’m not wrong, Blade15 2080 maxq only spiking maybe 100 watt with same 230 watt ac adapter, mine 1070maxq also same spiking to 100 and I could put the brick on my lap:D

3. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Look at those trends. This is me trying to pull max power from the adapter. In gaming mode, so 35W+90W, with spikes to 45W on CPU (looks like they changed it, it used to be 60W). Battery charging drops to zero when it spikes to 45W+90W. Charging is about 10W when the load is 35+90. Let's add 10W for the rest of stuff and being generous divide it by 0.9 to account for VRM efficiency and the max it is pulling from the adapter is 161W. The reading at the wall is 200W all the time, except the last part when I turned Heaven and AIDA off and charging went to almost 50W. If you have any other explanation why it doesn't pull more than 200W from the adapter while there is easily demand surpassing this, I'm all ears.

It doesn't look like 200W adapter with Level VI efficiency rating (>88%) - as written on label, but rather 160W adapter with about 80% efficiency. fake200W (2).jpg

4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I said about Blade Pro not 15. Do your math here (screenshot) of notebookcheck stress prime, it pulled only 100 watt though but I saw here or other forum it can pulled up to 140watt, plus that cpu tdp and other parts, it pulled more than 230 watt on maximum use cases. Blade Pro scored highest graphics performance once (idk know) is also because this higher gpu tdp and most probably vrm that can supply more power, because any other laptops that flashed Blade Pro bios can’t score the same performance. So using same power brick with Blade 15 for more hardware demand would make it hotter. Other example I just tried buddy stealth 2017 that use 65 watt power brick from my 2016 that use 45 watt and that brick is really hotter than normal. Different hardware demand need different power supply.

5. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you guys getting your processor to stay up at 4.1ghz with this mod? All my stress tests are maxing out at 3.9.

6. Thysanoptera

Reputations:
    Those spikes listed as Maximum on HwInfo are just that - spikes, I see 100W spikes on my GPU even when it is limited to 80. But that's just instantaneous and not necessary at the same time as CPU spikes. Look at average values, notebookcheck really made a meaningless screenshot, like half an hour after they ended the test.

But that doesn't really matter, and I don't really care about other SKU's - my point is - I have a machine that can pull 200W of power, have a power supply that's supposed to provide it, but the max I'm getting is 160W. That's all - power supply label doesn't match the actual power output.

7. Thysanoptera

Reputations:
    Make sure your stress test doesn't bang the memory too much, in AIDA unchecked the memory stress, in primes run small FFTs. And 9750h maxes out at 4.0 GHz on all cores, 8750h at 3.9GHz.

8. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, so I'm already getting full speed!

Is anything in this guide applicable to these mods or will applying them both mess with eachother?
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...trol-of-the-i7-8750h-advanced-version.823065/

9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes one core can spike up to 4,1ghz by the tweak on 8750H, depends what you’re doing so you’ll notice sometimes 4,1 max value but that’s not at same time.
    I wasn’t talking about other laptops, you quoted other user post about Blade Pro hot power brick and told something that I think is wrong and answered that.

10. Thysanoptera

Reputations:
    Oh, ok, my reasoning was if my own power adapter is, let's say - "mislabeled" - the one bundled with Pro or Advanced may also be, creating an equivalent of the situation you described with the 45W adapter powering the stealth.

EDIT - mystery solved, looking at the new Stealth I read the review of the 2019 on notebookcheck, they measure power at the wall and sure enough 65W adapter was pulling 65W. So that is systematic, I'm really surprised nobody called Razer out on it before.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019