Take Full Control of your Razer Blade w/no PL Throttling

Discussion in 'Razer' started by David Kirchik, Mar 8, 2019.

1. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    it isn't bad because of the joint heatsink and amount of copper capacity in the laptop, which ties to exactly what i said. because it's thin ness, dissipation isnt good so it has to target the problem by giving it more capacity to store heat to slowly dissipate it.

once your capacity is all filled up, any load will be a huge up in temp, just how it is mate. if you wanna think of it similar to lots of these TLC SSD with dram buffer that store stuff to make it look fast in benchmark but in reality TLC is crap and slow.

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Of course temps will be lower if the 6 core chips don’t can’t run at expected clock speed. Lower clock frequency = lower voltage. Lower voltages = Lower power consumption. Lower power consumption = Less heat:) It’s magic:vbbiggrin:
    BF1B7D60-DFBC-4ACA-982D-FBAA388D451A.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    jc_denton and ole!!! like this.
  3. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes it makes sense, some users reported as well hot cassis while doing something intensive like gaming, because the cassis transfer the heat from parts inside. Because I monitor intensively the temperature and play around with Synapse and other 3rd software to keep it run cooler, I can get my Blades free of thermal issues, not long enough to say it’s successful though, of course sometimes performance down would be the trade off, but it’s better than having 2K paperweight. It’s how we keep this thin light gaming category longer imo.
    I think it’s on balanced mode which’s tdp locked to 25 watt, great for playing far cry 5 to keep the temperature on 80ish. But on user r15 result (Razer forum that i linked) which I think on costum high performance he said he got close to 1300 (though he’s comparing different cpu, base 2018 8750H vs 2019 9750H)
    Sidenote, Razer is often also changing the power limit depends bios version, could also got high r15 without fooling cpu before, I think I posted here somewhere.

4. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Base cooling is great IMHO, my stress test, 15 minutes AIDA + Heaven, in Creator Synapse3 mode so max 45+80W CPU + GPU. I simply don't understand how that vapor chamber works at all in a laptop, this should be used to spread heat over large area - if there was a heatsink on top of it the size of the whole chamber - yeah, that would be great. But the actual heat exchange and associated vapor condensation occurs only in small area on top of the actual heatsinks, which are the same size as the ones used in heatpipe model. If anything I would expect such design to be less efficient in transporting heat away from CPU/GPU than heatpipes, which are designed for this exact purpose - one dimensional heat transport.

Edit - I was actually loosing charge from battery during that test, about 5W. The Base comes with 180W power adapter.

[​IMG]

5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    they would do a lot better if they make it like 2mm thicker, or just straight up add a 3rd fan. unified heatsink works great in theory for CPU or GPU load but not when both are stressed. to not allow temp go up too quickly when both CPU/GPU stressed they have to put a massive capacity for it so their idea of directing it off chassis is one way to tackle it.

imo 3rd fan would keep that chassis temp low and give some real decent dissipation in exchange for a bit more noise.

Joikansai likes this.
  6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think Razer put priority on design and portability to make it most portable gaming laptop, adding extra Fans would make them lose the competition, Blade 15 is already step down in term compact form compared to its predecessor, they even try to make it lighter by changing anchors to a plastic and thinner bottom lid cover. On 2019 model they put 5300 rpm fans speed I think this’s also what made it cooler than 2018 Model which had 5000rpm but not huge.
    That is Blade base rtx 2060 right? Of course it’ll discharge under heavy load, 2060 Blade 15 advanced and a bit slower 1070maxq use 230 watt. Is it proprietary ac adapter power?

7. Thysanoptera

Reputations:
    Yes, same custom oval plug, I'll have to grab the 230W for the low price of $140. I'm surprised 180W wasn't enough, that was only 125W between CPU and GPU, where did remaining 55W go? Unless they cheat on spec and 180W is only spike and sustained is lower.

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not all notebook ODM allow max utilization from the power adapter(crippled with firmware). With 80% max efficiency from the 180w Psu you should see up about 220w from the wall. Use a kill-a-watt for measuring max wattage.

Thysanoptera likes this.
  9. Komorebi

Komorebi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, opening up AFUGUI keeps getting to error 46 cant read bios.

Am i on a bad version or did i miss a setting. If anyone has a link to the most current version of both tools pm me. Think i may just have too old of a 5.x version.

10. Thysanoptera

Reputations:
    I'm sorry, the power brick actually says 200W, I was so convinced it is 180 I didn't even look at it. But - at the wall, when starting the test on cold system it oscillates closely around 180W, like +-2W, later it start dipping as low as 160W, it never even gets close to 200W. at the fricking wall. I'm not amused, what is this, did they just slap a different label on 140W adapter - assuming around 80% efficiency? That's BS of epic proportions. Battery discharge is anywhere between 1 and 12W. It follows the same pattern, so they baked some power delivery algorithm somewhere, or maybe that's AIDA/Heaven repeating the same. That's the discharge rate trend:

2019-08-28.png