Take Full Control of your Razer Blade w/no PL Throttling

Discussion in 'Razer' started by David Kirchik, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’m quite sure notebookcheck runs it on balanced mode where tdp lock on 25 watt on this mode, on gaming mode it’ll be higher like 45 watt but because cinebench or cpu stress test put it on 100% cpu usage power limit throttling kick on that made it runs on lower frequency bu on real gaming where I cpu won’t hit 100% it often hits 3,9 ghz.
    This imon tweak let the cpu runs on highest 3,9ghz all cores resulting better cinebench score. But on gaming it’ll be similar performance.

2. Dheorl

Dheorl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks. So what does this tweak actually do to enable this? Does it put temperatures at levels that might cause problems or is the cooling on the Razer good enough?

3. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Depends on your model, I think 2019 has better cooling. I tried on my 2018 Blade 1070, i can score cinebench r20 I think 2800~ and r15 1200~ but on gaming I noticed temperature is higher than stock with not much FPS gains so I reverted again stock bios. I prefer better cooling. Keep in mind my unit still on default paste and always set Turbo boost on 3,9 all cores. Maybe by limiting that and repasting it’ll better, but I can manage atm runs on 80ish cores temperature, some titles push to low 90ish but never saw mid 90ish by playing around with Synapse performance mode, fans depends on the games.

4. Dheorl

Dheorl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks. Have you undervolted at all or is that all as stock? What r20 and r15 scores do you get with how you have it now?

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    People shoul dbe careful though, it is unknown as of this time if the power delivery circuit is made for this.

Joikansai likes this.
  6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Idk about r15, but r20 yesterday runs around 2450, undervolting-130mV on gaming mode. Around 400 lower than imon tweak.
    4840975E-0418-4141-A5D9-791549B1F78D.jpeg
    Maybe it translates to 1150cb r15. I don’t really care about cb personally they change bios setting often, sometimes without imon tweak I got 1200~ before, maybe due users claiming higher cpu temperature they lower the power limit. But I saw one moderator on Razer Insider keep fighting to increase this with engineering team, let’s wait there’s a lot good games come:).
    Yes I’m agree, I runs it around a month nothing smelly though;) But I prefer cooler temperature.

7. el3c

el3c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    with tweak and a untervolt at -70mv on CB20 i get:

upload_2019-6-13_19-11-14.png

with still nice temps:

upload_2019-6-13_19-12-44.png

8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice temperature, is it factory default paste? Yeah I wasn’t getting over 2900, probably due worse cpu temperature.
    Edit: NM I forgot you’re with LM.

9. bjrebo

bjrebo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have seen 3075 cb20 max score and cb15 it was like 1223 with tweak. I was 2900 without tweak r20 and 1263 without tweak r15 so go figure. This is with undervolt btw.

10. Edaw

Edaw Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking at buying a Razerbade 15 Advanced model withe the 9th gen 9750H, and in the reviews I was reading about all the power limit throttling and etc. When doing the BIOS mod, is all of this reversible, or is it a once you do it, it's done kind of deal? Also, when you talk about creating those separate windows profiles, if you were to switch back to battery saver or balanced, will using the laptop be like not having done anything to it all? One of the main selling points for me is that the Razerblade has decent battery life, and I would love to know that there is a way to keep this performance while still having the option of a decent battery life.