Take Full Control of your Razer Blade w/no PL Throttling

Discussion in 'Razer' started by David Kirchik, Mar 8, 2019.

1. stranula

stranula Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Check your PM

2. MagillaGorilla

MagillaGorilla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thank you! will report back

3. Ben142

Ben142 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,
    New to this so please bear with me!
    I have the RBS13 late 2019 - When the dGPU is enabled, the processor is limited to 15W, when it is disabled the processor limit rises to 25W.
    I assume that this change is controlled by Razer Synapse?

What I want to achieve is perhaps a 20W limit when the dGPU is enabled, instead of 15W - I believe this will be a suitable compromise. So I have some questions:

1. What exactly do these do? I understand they set up new Windows power plans, but what is the difference in each?

2. Would I be correct in thinking that OP effectively removed the power limit, so the system relies on other things like temperature and frequency limits to safeguard?

3a. Would it be feasible to simply leave the IMON slope at default, and use an IMON offset of -5000 (5W)?
    3b. Would this also mean that when the dGPU is disabled, the processor limit would inadvertently rise to 30W?

4a. If I uninstall Razer Synapse, will the power still limit in the same way?
    4b. Does changing the IMON offset have an effect on things like battery life estimates and other power readings?

Sorry if any of these questions are in the thread already - I had a good read and still couldn't answer them so hopefully I'm not just being slow.
    I appreciate your time,[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  4. Angrybot

Angrybot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can ignore any of the windows settings. You can also leave synapse on or off - without synapse, the computer should behave as if synapse were running in balanced mode.

One approach that may be more in line with what you want is to leave the IMON offset at default, and then change the IMON slope to 50. This way the reported power should be exactly 1/2 of the actual power. (You could do some other value, but 50 makes the math really easy).
    Then use something like throttlestop to limit power. So if you want 20W actual, set the limit in throttlestop to 10W. Then the limit is always 20W actual (with or without the dGPU active), until you change the setting in throttlestop.

Alternatively, you could set the IMON slope to 0.75 and not set a limit in throttlestop. Then when the computer thinks it's at 15W, it'll actually be at 20W. With the dGPU off, the CPU will think it's running at up to 25W but in reality it'll be running at up to 33W.

5. Ben142

Ben142 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply - will leaving it at 33W damage it, or will it thermal throttle first?

Also, why do you suggest changing the IMON slope, and not the offset?

6. Angrybot

Reputations:
    As for damage - the chip should be able to throttle or, worst case, shut down. However - you should not consider this endeavor risk free. We don't know what the power delivery components on the motherboard are capable of.

As for adjusting the IMON slope but not the offset - they both adjust power reported, in different ways. Power reported = (real power * IMON slope/100) + IMON offset/1000. So you could adjust either or both to get where you want to be. For example, you could leave slope at default and make the offset - 5000.

Edit: to be clear, when I say it can still thermal throttle, I mean that I have tested with this specific configuration (just the change in IMON slope, none of the other changes listed to windows or IMON offset or any of that). The first thermal throttling mode that you'll run into where it ramps down the power limit still works - it'll just keep lowering the power limit until it gets the temperature down. Being off by 50% doesn't prevent that.

I suspect that there's also other throttling modes (like reducing the maximum frequency), but I'm not going to test that.

Then of course if everything goes horribly wrong and none of that works properly, it should still be able to shut itself down as a final safety measure.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  7. i_dima

i_dima Newbie

Reputations:
    Hard BSOD after I made BIOS settings at 9750H any ideas?

8. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  9. Angrybot

Reputations:
    Are you undervolting? If so - try without that.

10. Shkronk

Shkronk Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, what would be the recommended IMON settings for the RBS 13ā€ with 1650 dgpu? CPUZ is showing 15w with and without enabling DGPU, so Iā€™m not sure where can I verify the current wattage and if changes are reflecting. Thanks for help