Take Full Control of your Razer Blade w/no PL Throttling

Discussion in 'Razer' started by David Kirchik, Mar 8, 2019.

1. sebs110

sebs110 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks @stranula I have mod the bios and now I can change the parameter but if I drop the numbers in Pag 1 of this thread the computer crash all the time do you know what I am doing wrong?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  2. ViperGeek

ViperGeek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I had that experience, it was because the preset -100mv undervolting from Razer was still being set in BIOS. It has to be set to 0mv, disabling undervolting, for stability after AC and DC Loadline are set to 1.

- Dave

3. sebs110

sebs110 Newbie

Reputations:
    where I can find the undervolting setting?

4. ViperGeek

ViperGeek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. sebs110

sebs110 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok found it and problem solved Thanks you so much

6. BartusCompater

BartusCompater Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After holding out for a very long time I finally applied this tweak to my Early RBS 2019 with MX150. Scores in Cinebench R15 saw a nice 12% jump but other benchmarks like Firestrike didn't really experience any improvement in CPU score.

I'm still feeling a little tepid about the whole thing. Now there's no way to see what wattage the CPU is actually getting, and Afterburner reads my clock speeds as always pegged at maximum. Throttlestop is now required to keep temperatures in line by setting a limit on clock speeds.

This tweak is effectively telling the CPU to read wattage output at 50% (setting IMON slope to 50) and then subtracting 32 more watts (offset to -31999). It's not clear to me why these values need to be so extreme, or why we need to set both. It's also unclear to me why this tweak must be paired with tweaks to values like load line and TDC Enable, VR limit, etc. etc.

I'd love a detailed breakdown of exactly what each of these settings does to the CPU, since after a full day of researching and Googling I'm still not entirely sure what I've done to my laptop.

Have you checked to make sure your voltage offset is 0 before applying the modded values? It sounds like after applying the tweak your CPU is starved and so it BSOD's.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  7. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Firestrike physical tests only seconds rest is gpu, and default bios cpu power limitation works after several seconds not quite sure on temperature/frequency, mostly right before the test end when I’m not wrong so it won’t effect score hugely. Cinebench cpu is literally cpu benchmarker.
    Me too doesn’t really know what those values meant beside short explanation on right bios windows but, as long the frequency stay as it should be (max peak on intensive usage, no throttle down) and temperature are okay I’m good.

8. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Was able to successfully modify my image and the laptop actually runs much longer now on battery and the front of it is much less hot making me think it was wasting CPU power somewhere. The only odd thing now is when on battery power if I run an XTU stress test thermal throttling kicks in but it's around 60c. If I plug adapter in thermal throttling goes away and then it goes to 70-75c.

EDIT: Not only with XTU running stress test. Seems if the CPU gets any kind of significant use it says it is thermal throttling. Any ideas? Again, only on battery power.

9. No0B

No0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ... which means it's not thermally constrained. :) To conserve battery and have it discharge more slowly to increase its lifespan, the system will automatically cap the maximum power. You're experiencing power limit throttling in both these cases, since the temperatures are well under TJMax (100°C), but for different reasons. One is the battery power limit, the other is Intel's/Razer's set power limit (for the Core i7 8750H and 9750H in the Razer Blade 15 it's 45W (Intel official) and 35W (After a few seconds of load, as set by Razer) respectively when set to defaults in Razer Synapse).

Depending on which machine you have and which BIOS revision was installed, you could absolutely be right. Up until BIOS v1.05 the BIOS in the Razer Blade 15 (2018) the system didn't let the CPU go into deeper power saving states when idle, resulting in it taking around 2W of power at idle (as measured by software). Removing the C-state constraint brings that down to normal levels of around 0.3-1W.

10. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's a 2019 model 9750H model. Why would it be listed as thermal throttle and not power throttle though?