Take Full Control of your Razer Blade w/no PL Throttling

Discussion in 'Razer' started by David Kirchik, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For GTX Model PL throttle is really solved on gaming mode, balanced mode I see some but less than before tweak. I’m now searching how to keep 45 watt (any clue, @David Kirchik?), since it max only to 37 watt, though the important one all cores often hitting 4,1ghz.
    Other thing to notice doing undervolting is not to putting too low value like before tweak, I’m stable at -50mv, it may go lower but on -100mV it was not stable.

Attached Files:

2. andysui

andysui Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If I do a clean install on the blade, do I still go through the same steps for registry edit (since you mentioned Razer has its modified version of Windows).

3. David Kirchik

David Kirchik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You don’t have to, only do it if you want the high/ultimate performance modes.

andysui likes this.
  4. feomko

feomko Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, after BIOS customization i've got like ~40% of CPU performance increase (from ~2100 to ~2900 in Cinebecnh R20), also thermals was pretty ok, only near 90c.
    But, i don't understand what paramater changes what?
    As i understand VR Current Limit is about maximum power package for processor(?), but what AC\DC loadline, IMON and TDC are stands for?
    I'm asking just because i want to tune this under my needs, due to i don't need such big perfomance upgrade, and i'll prefer better thermals =)

CraftyClown likes this.
  5. el3c

el3c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @David Kirchik & @Joikansai

the last step cant be done on RB15 2018, the Menu is still hidden.

What do you think, is it safe to set these option direct in AMIPCB and flash the rom?

6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It’s safe doing this as long as you don’t ruins other setting. Which step do you mean? VR core option should be able to unlock with those steps, on Blade 15 2018 only overclocking menu (for configuring cpu undervolting, ASPM etc, the menu isn’t popping as it should, probably they erased this on 2018 model, on 2019 rtx model apparently it is there (unlockable)).

7. el3c

el3c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what do you think? is it ok or did i something wrong there?

upload_2019-5-31_18-8-17.png

8. el3c

el3c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Joikansai It is working on a Razer Blade 15 2018!

Just edit the VR Settings im AMIBCP and flash the Bios. After Restart, went into your Bios and now you have the : Power & Performance -> CPU - Power Management Control -> CPU VR Settings -> Core/IA VR Settings :)

All values are wrong dont know why, so i ve edited to correct values:

upload_2019-5-31_18-55-58.png

Made a reboot and started Cinebench, wtf... no throtteling CPU stick at 3.9 ghz and i got an awesome reult for a balanced mode ^^ :

upload_2019-5-31_18-57-24.png

hackness and Joikansai like this.
  9. el3c

el3c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Today i ve did some tests to check temps while in idle, i set the C-State 10, so on idle or normal use the CPU Package is between 2.2 and 3 Watts. Before modding i got 1.1 - 1.6 Watts, but temps are still okay at 47-53 C.Fans start working at 50 C. My goal is to achive temps around 50C because this is my working device in office and i dont want to hear my fans in normal use.

Again: repasting with Liquid Metal was the best solution to keep Temps lower. Here are my results from CB15 run in Ultimate Mode and undervolting to -50MV.

upload_2019-6-1_11-43-48.png

A hint for the Gamers: i use a second Throttlestop Profile where all cores are locked to 2500 Mhz, in most games this is still more than enough to get 60fps, the power drain is at 50% so i get very low temps.

For Example: i am playing Rage 2 with capped CPU, overclocked 1070 and get 75-90 Fps, the CPU Temps are around 78-80C after playing an hour.

Razer Blade 15 is still an awesome device... i realy love it on Business trips :)

Thanks to @David Kirchik for this great tutorial.

10. Dheorl

Dheorl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm a bit dim when it comes to this side of computing. Can someone explain in the simplest terms what's actually being done here? I've been strongly considering getting a Razer, but have been disappointed looking at benchmarks on reviews vs other laptops such as the m15. Can what is being done here be done to them as well, so the gap essentially remains, or is this just removing a restriction Razer had put on their laptop that the other manufacturers haven't?

The part I've read that particularly bothers me is on the notebookcheck review on the stress test, where the CPU in benchmarks is held at pretty low temperatures but suffers performance wise. Is that likely to occur when I'm using the laptop for physics simulations, and if so does what is displayed here "cure" it?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019