Take Full Control of your Razer Blade w/no PL Throttling

Discussion in 'Razer' started by David Kirchik, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, got drunk a little bit and have fallen asleep, here for your viewing pleasure is 6 hrs of AIDA + Heaven. Aida is cpu/fpu/cache (no memory). I limited the clock to 3GHz in Throttlestop, it was a mess at 3.5. GPU is throttled heavily, but its temps look ok. Looking at the battery discharge/charge cycle I guess it can't get enough power from PSU, I don't have kill-a-watt with me, but I will try this at home. I'm pretty sure Razer again puts fake numbers on PSU, and 100W is maybe what this pulls from the wall, while the laptop gets only 80W or so.

CPU has IMON tweak so reported package power is fake.

[​IMG]

2. veahavarde

veahavarde Newbie

Reputations:
    After flashing the edited bios and editing the new settings, is it safe to download and flash newer bioses from Razer?

Also, I could do stable -160mv core, -130mv cache before flashing the edited bios. Afterwards I could't make this stable. Why is that?

3. Oogarr

Oogarr Newbie

Reputations:
    Looks quite similar to my results... all core boost of 3.0ghz gets hot pretty quickly especially if the laptop is not proped up. My goal is to try to stay under 90 degrees maximum. I totally looked past the fact that Throttlestop has a built in alarm system and you can auto-switch your profile based on your specified DTS. I have it set right now to switch to an identical profile in Throttlestop, but bumped all core max to 2.7ghz when temps hit 85 degrees. So far this works great for staying at 90 degrees or below during a full stress test. In addition, I have a custom curve set for the GPU in MSI afterburner, staying at a constant 1530 core clock @ 705mv. Feeling pretty good about these settings!

EDIT - If I throw FPU into the mix, I have to bump all-core down to 2.5ghz max, but trying to find a happy medium because these temps and stress tests aren't totally realistic of my real world usage.

EDIT 2 - Continued to look for a good balance. Looks like I am going to land on the following values in Throttlestop:

Performance Profile - 3.1ghz all-core
    Alarm DTS Value = 14 (i.e. when CPU is above 85 degrees, switch to "Cool Down" profile)
    Cool Down Profile - 2.8ghz all-core

3.1ghz on Performance profile is right on the cusp of handling CPU-only loads and not hitting DTS value. On the other hand, when I throw a GPU load into the mix, DTS value gets hit, and CPU drops 300mhz on all cores in order to stay somewhere between 85-90 degrees. I wish the alarm function in Throttlestop gave us a little more flexability when it comes to controlling switching between profiles based on temperature, but for the time being I think this is as good as I can get it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  4. stranula

stranula Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Flashing a new BIOS will take away the ability to access the new options you enabled. It is possible the settings will stick, but will be inaccessible. Not really much reason to flash a new BIOS unless you are experiencing a specific issue which it addresses.

The edits suggested by the OP change the voltage supplied to the processor. So implementing this change as well as the undervolt that worked previously chokes the CPU and doesn't allow enough voltage. You will need to find a working undervolt again, somewhere around -65

veahavarde likes this.
  5. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any ideas what these sensors triggering means after having all these mods applied?

upload_2019-11-23_16-35-20.png

6. amihail91

Reputations:
    @hackness can you take a look in your CPU VR Settings -> System Agent VR Settings Core/ & GT VR Settings and tell me what your default AC & DC Loadline values are in there? Mine started defaulting to 2003 which seems wrong to me. o_O

7. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Default is 180 for both, but that's for MSI, Asus's default is 20, not sure about RB15.

Your iGPU has reached the maximum frequency, limiting the iGPU frequency to 1050MHz in the bios should remove these warnings.

amihail91 likes this.
  8. Entionz

Entionz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys. Tried the OP instructions on a new, late 2019 version with the 9750h and optomech keyboard. I don't have an overclocking menu show up as enabled in the BIOS after following the instructions, and I wonder if that's why I'm getting constant BSOD's when I try implementing the BIOS tweaks. Any ideas on enabling that so I can remove whatever undervolt is hidden in the BIOS?

9. stranula

stranula Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    See my thread here http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...lock-all-hidden-options.830993/#post-10965445 for enabling overclocking menu.

10. amihail91

Reputations:
    180 seems to be RB15 default too - why was my BIOS showing 2003 for auto (0) though? :confused: