Tablet URGENTLY needed! Toughpad? Or Getac...

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by thewanderlustking, Nov 6, 2018.

1. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Fortunately, most of the apps I need to make use of, are older enterprise apps. But yeah processing bandwidth on those older ones is greatly lacking. Where even my Autel tablet has issues, is browsing. And for my job I need Google Services running smoothly with their app, so the processing power will be a big help.

The Samsung has a 1.6 GHz "octa" core Processor and 2gb sdram. Storage is only 16gb, but there is an SD-micro slot of course. Pretty sure there is an unused 64gb card around here somewhere. In the process of setting it up now.

The real appeal the Getac still has for me, is the possibility I can hack it to run the software off the Autel scanner. I think the two android and processor systems are close enough to make it feasible. My tool guy told me he had seen it done where somebody imaged one of the Autel scanners and got that image to run on another tablet that actually had a slightly better OS. My scanner is out of warranty and support at this point, although I think my warranty gets re-instated if I buy the expensive software update package. I want to do that, but I am not sure the current tablet will survive another 3-4yrs to really make it worthwhile.

I am at the point where while I would still have to be SUPER careful messing with the Autel, trying to do that to another tablet wouldn't scare me.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  2. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, I wanted a much smaller tablet... But now that I have the app installed and have spent an hour navigating around it, a smaller tablet would have sucked. This Samsung 10.1" is just the perfect size. It is mostly being used like a service writer's clipboard, except digital with audio and photo notes worked into the mix. Pretty cool actually!

But it is probably time to close this part of the conversation down. Thanks for the help and advice guys!

I think the solution may just be "all of the above" lol! The Getac is probably still the best bet and perfect cost point for experimenting with cloning my Autel. Size, I/O, everything. Better even than the Autel base tool. If I can make it work...

For now, this Samsung should be speedy and new enough. Rugged? Yeah, we shall see how long it lasts with a "ruggedized" case...

I probably won't be willing to lose a lot spec wise, but if this doesn't survive I am definitely going to be taking a closer look at the Toughpad options. Or just get one of these, and glue a Panasonic or "ToughTab" badge onto it somewhere.... Tell me that doesn't take a few cues from the Toughbook designer's handbook?!

And while I am at all of this, I suspect I am going to find a new use for one of my CF-19's collecting dust right now...

[​IMG]

toughasnails likes this.