T61p vs Desktop test

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by rookie4real, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 996GT2

996GT2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Quadro card is equivalent to an 8600GT M, which will be slower by default than a desktop GTS card. Also, drivers for laptop cards are usually not as optimized (and rarely updated), so that can hurt performance as well.

2. emagination

emagination Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you are just using the stock drivers for the quadro I would be interested in seeing how it performs after installing geforce drivers as in this tutorial:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=209796&highlight=nvidia+geforce+drivers

The desktop 8600 will indeed be a bit faster than the mobile counterpart but the jumps in performance here seem pretty significant. If the OP feels so inclined, would you be willing to try the geforce drivers out?

3. morphy

morphy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The first thing when I saw the results was this isn't with 'gaming' drivers. Wouldn't mind seeing the results with the modded drivers from hackez or laptopvideo2go.
    The desktop will stil be faster but the gap shouldn't be as wide.

Even better use the same driver version for both the desktop and laptop, then bench them.

4. rookie4real

rookie4real Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. stebesplace

stebesplace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll second this and was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the initial post. Set both to the same driver and do another set of tests. I would imagine the gaps would close up a bit overall, or at the least, raise both sets of scores accross the board.

6. rookie4real

Reputations:
    Ok, I may gonna try that new driver sometime this week. I will let you know the results.
    By saying using the same driver, do you mean installing 8600 gts driver from my desktop to the laptop? I am affraid it may bring some issues? Don't you think?

7. 996GT2

996GT2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Search this forum for how to install custom GeForce drivers on your Quadro equipped T61

8. rookie4real

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's what I thought, I did not think the stock 8600 driver is going to work.

9. morphy

morphy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same driver version, not the same driver. ;)
    Hackez modded drivers come in 169.28 and 174.16 but only 169.28 has a desktop version. Some other desktop drivers are 171.* and you can find laptop versions of those on laptopvideo2go.com. So for example you can try 169.28 drivers on both the dekstop and laptop. Not too sure on the 17* series drivers but the 169.28 has so far been one of the more problem free ones for the 570M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.