T61/X61 SATA II 1.5 Gb/s cap - willing to pay for a solution

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by dubak, Feb 14, 2010.

?

Would you be willing to spend some money for a solution enabling SATA II on your T61/X61

1. YES

228 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

92 vote(s)
    28.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddr3

ddr3 Newbie

Reputations:
    I will have a spare disk in a couple of days and I will try it.

But just now I had to reboot and the system won't as usual. Finally upon logging in, which took longer then usual, another problem occurred: a window popped up, entitled: Location is not available. C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is not accessible. Access denied. And the desktop was like a basic Win theme, all grey. The shortcuts were missing and explorer was acting weird. I restarted wanting to go into safe mode and restart again, booting into normal mode, which helped before. Now it won't go into safe mode either. Then I restarted into normal and it went fine except for aero and sound. This time wireless service had to be fixed cause it didn't start on its own.

2. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mmm...I was going to say a corrupted profile but not to sure now after the other errors you encountered. Have you done a full virus scan but also have you ran a malware/spyware scan as well?

I'm still thinking it's primarily the SSD that's at fault but I could be wrong.

3. Pascone

Pascone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, I know this is off subject but I could use some help overclocking my X61. I know virtually nothing on the subject and would like to find a thread with others who have overclocked the same machine. Googling has turned up nada. Any help??
    Thanks!

4. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
  5. ddr3

ddr3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, it is indeed an I/O problem. The files are inaccessible. Errors would show it is an I/O problem. KIS failed to update for two days until I deleted temp update files; VLC would shut down for I/O error occasionally. I don't remember all of the errors, but I do know I saw several specifically said it was disk read or I/O error.
    So, my question is if this updated BIOS somehow affected the disk reads and/or writes? I attached SSDLife SMART data screenshot.

Attached Files:

6. cxd9615gb

cxd9615gb Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to do this but I'd just like to join and ask if anyone has experienced any problems with Middleton's BIOS? Getting my x61s tomorrow and am already planning buying a Crucial M4 for it so SATAII would be great.

Thanks!

Or if there have been any updates since this post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/6501443-post75.html

7. Impactor

Impactor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am not sure if this is because of this bios, or all ThinkPads have this issue, but inside the BIOS there is an option to leave USB ports powered-on while the computer is off, but on AC power. The problem is, they remain powered ON even after you disconnect the AC.

8. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My tuppence worth is it's the storage and not the BIOS Patch, as I haven't seen any storage faults being reported thus far - I'd be tempted to try out a spare SSD/HDD on your ThinkPad to see if you recreate the problem; if you can't then you know it's down to the original SSD that's at fault.

Have you ran CrystalDiskInfo and HD Tune Pro against the existing SSD at all?

9. oschad2

oschad2 Newbie

Reputations:
    Did work with R61i, 7650

Upgraded from intel t5250 to t9300, did not work with standard bios 7PET16WW, no bios message appeared, no system boot possible.

After upgrade to 7PETC3WW the message "thermal sensor error" appeared after the thinkpad splash screen. With ESC I could proceed (without shutdown after a few seconds) but I wasn't able to enter the bios nor to change the boot device temporarily.

After flashing your 2.23-1.08 for r61i 7650, everything works fine, entering BIOS works again, no error message at boot time. GREAT GREAT work. Thank you very much.

10. defuse

defuse Newbie

Reputations:
    So I have a R61i and I upgraded the T5250 to a T8100 today.

I tried to update to middleton's BIOS via a cd and it claims there is no bios file?

I'm guessing I would have to pay middleton some money in order to get this?

I have the R61i 7732 without IEEE 1394, I noticed this isn't listed under middletons update?

T61, T61p
    R61 (14.1" widescreen with IEEE 1394): 7732, 7733, 7734, 7735, 7738, 7742, 7744, 7751, 7753, 7754, 7755
    R61i (14.1" widescreen with IEEE 1394): 7732, 7742

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.