T61/X61 SATA II 1.5 Gb/s cap - willing to pay for a solution

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by dubak, Feb 14, 2010.

?

Would you be willing to spend some money for a solution enabling SATA II on your T61/X61

1. YES

228 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

92 vote(s)
    28.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stebesplace

stebesplace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wanted to post up my results.

I have an 8918-CTO R61 15.4" Widescreen, Penryn T9300, OCZ Octane 120GB SATA III SSD.

My requirement was that this would allow for SATA II speeds. I wasn't concerned with anything else at this time, like swapping Function key, etc.

Since I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, I had to boot off USB (or CD, though I preferred USB).

1) Created a bootable USB drive with the following files: DOS USB boot drive - Vista Forums

2) Copied over my bios download, version 1.29 for my laptop, and used ISO #1. Extracted the files via Winrar and copyied directly onto the USB drive.

3) Changed my boot priority in BIOS to load the USB drive first.

4) Booted to the DOS prompt.

5) Ran the following command: FLASH2.EXE /U

6) Waited for this process to finish, followed by a long beep, and a reboot.

7) Removed the USB stick and the computer started right up.

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

2. Pascone

Pascone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dual-IDA_SATA-II_Whitelist_SLIC21_ThinkPad_X61_Tablet_BIOS_(1.25-1.02).rar

This looks like my baby but there are 3 ISO files in here and I am a little confused in which order to try these? There are are two in a folder called "BIOS update + CTRL-FN swap" and a third in a "Bios Update" folder. I am running Win 7 64 Bit so have to go the ISO route.. Also, don't have a CD so really hoping I can burn to a stick??

Thanks!

jp

3. hitchhikerkiller

hitchhikerkiller Newbie

Reputations:
    First, thanks to middleton for spending his time helping other people.

This is my result:
    [​IMG]

Compared to the leomas x61s, it appears not to be a good reading result.
    Unfortunatelly, I haven't benchmarked before I applied the new BIOS, because I installed the SSD only after I've already flashed the middleton's BIOS.
    Furthermore, my SSD is not one of the great ones... its s Kingspec 120GB. Maybe this is the reason because I didn't get excelent results.

How can I check if Sata 2 is active/working?

Edit:
    I changed SATA mode from Compatibility to AHCI, and this is the result:
    [​IMG]

Now I'm sure its working :)
    Thanks again for middleton and everyone who contributed to make it possible.

4. Pascone

Pascone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any love here gang?? I desperately need to squeeze more speed out of my X61 but don't know which of the 3 ISO files to use in the archive for my model.

Thanks!!

5. rumbero

rumbero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you bothered to read and understand the accompanying "READ_ME!!!.txt" file? It's content is not too hard to understand and should easily answer your question.

6. crashnburn

crashnburn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It would be great if you could post a How To / kinda open source/ it so people can support you or supplement the work you have done and carry it forward, when you dont have time. Maybe, with or without your guidance/ supervision.

7. wampir

wampir Newbie

Reputations:
    I flashed bios in my T61 14" bios to ver. 2.29-1.08 (without CTRL-FN swap) with the cd image. I checked with ThrottleStop utility that dual-IDA works. Afetr replacing my T7300 with T8300 my T61 is not working. I press power button, HD is spinning but lcd is black. When I put old T7300 back everything is working. What's wrong?

Is it possible that this new T8300 is dead?

8. numale

numale Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi group,

Has anybody tried this bios update with a QXGA 15.0" non-widescreen 4:3 ratio display. What I have is a T61p 8891-CTO (14.1" 4:3 motherboard) in a 15.0" thinkpad body. It has a Vertex 3 SSD drive. Any chance the Bios upgrade would impact the higher resolution 2048x1536 capability?

Mark

9. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    no. You're not changing the video card and/or updating it's bios

10. yikifp

yikifp Newbie

Reputations:
    middleton thank you very much for doing this work. Im getting mad with the FN and Ctrl keys...
    recently I'd adquired a Lenovo R61 with windows 7 64 bits installed
    Can I put this version of the bios? or I need another one adapted to 64bits?

I've downloaded the last bios for 64 bits but it doesn't solve mi problem!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I don't know what to do

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.