T61/X61 SATA II 1.5 Gb/s cap - willing to pay for a solution

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by dubak, Feb 14, 2010.

?

Would you be willing to spend some money for a solution enabling SATA II on your T61/X61

1. YES

228 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

92 vote(s)
    28.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15 The Chairman

Reputations:
    Old post I know, but I'm using a Lenovo-branded (bought on Ebay) 4965AGN in my SO's T61 with this BIOS, with no issues.

Is yours just a generic Intel? I know, the BIOS should get you around that, just curious.

2. FightOrFlight

FightOrFlight Newbie

Reputations:
    I use a generic Intel 4965AGN bought through Amazon UK - £9.99 well spent. Of course the original BIOS in my T61 threw up its hands in horror, which was my reason for flashing the hacked BIOS. With the driver Vista installed the card was a bit squiffy, but a visit to the Intel site produced a stable driver.

3. Singtoh

Singtoh Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I flashed the 2.29 bios and have no problems at all, thank you very much Middleton. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to check that it is truly enabled on my ubuntu/linux?? I have winDOZE xp installed on an external harddrive but I can't seem to get the Intel Rapid Storage to install on it?? So I would like to check it from Linux to see that the flash worked(I am sure it did but just curious). I am getting a ssd drive next week. Any suggestions on what ssd drive to get?? I only need a 20-30gig for the /root drive and will use my 500gig for /home in the ultra bay of my T61. Sorry if this has been asked before, but this thread is long, and I can't recall if I have seen this question posted. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Singtoh

4. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    my card is the one that came with the laptop :(

5. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    update (hope the last one of this matter)

I've upgraded my Wifi card from 4965agn to 5300agn and may I say it works flawlessly :D I just put it in and was watching youtube videos for 1 hour already without single disconnect, nor any errors. I'm using the latest 14.2.0.10 drivers from the intel site (not the lenovo version).

so most likely I must have had problems with my old wifi card for some time as I tried 4 or 5 different versions of drivers and still was getting errors in the event log/system. My laptop sat connected with cable most of the time thus I didn't notice that issue earlier. My card was hardware version 1.0.40 and the new one now is 1.1.50

on that note, may I say big THANKS to middleton for this amazing bios as without it I would not be able to upgrade the wifi card as I just did, so the removal of the wifi whitelist works awesome :D

6. 2DIE

2DIE Newbie

Reputations:
    I just signed up to say thanks middleton.

I was a little scared to flash the BIOS as I have heard a lot of horror stories about it bricking laptops.

You wouldn't believe the adrenalin rush I got as it was updating and hearing beeps then the screen go black :p I didn't know what was going on, I think it flashed it 3 times before I figured I had to take the disc out as well.

Just following the readme was simple, even at the Lenovo website I never updated the BIOS before because they aren't very clear on how to do it and everyone says not to do it if everything is working properly.

In the next week or 2 I will be installing a SSD so I have been looking in to this for a long time before stumbling across this thread on google.

Thanks again, Merry X-mas and Happy New Year.

7. London_System

London_System Guest

Reputations:
    Hello everybody,

Middleton did a great job with his BIOSes for the X6x and T6x generation Thinkpads..... Thank you!

I´m not absolutely sure if this is the correct thread for my question?! But on the other hand it´s the "Middleton thread" and its about Thinkpad BIOS-tweaking.

I´m aware: This ist not a request thread and I just want to ask politely and please don´t be angry.....

I´ve got a Thinkpad X301 which is not covered by Middleton yet. There is no need for SATA-Tweaking for this generation of Thinkpad, but there are some BIOS-related limitations to pass by like Middleton did ins his great work:

The X301 also has a BIOS-Whitelist implemented and no SLIC 2.1 and has EIST-Bit locked, which limitates my happiness with that great notebook a bit. The X301 would greatly take profit on unlocking EIST and using Dual-Ida, as it´s CPU is a lowspeed one, where every improvement on multiplier would have a considerable effect. I´ve seen this on my X300 and its just wunderful......

I would like to ask the master if there would be a small chance if he would have a look at the X301 the same way as he did successfully with the X300?

Thank you in advance.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

Jan

8. king of dreams

king of dreams Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi owner of a T61p here. I followed the instructions in Jabouty's post regarding updating the BIOS via USB and unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. When I restart I go into the boot menu and select USB 2.0. The drive letter for the USB drive I am using does not appear in the boot menu, however, I select USB 2.0. anyway. After I do this A message appears saying "Remove all drive media and disks and press any key to restart" or words to that effect. So I do so, and then windows boots.

I checked the BIOS version, and it hasn't been updated.

Am I going wrong somewhere? Is there another way to update the BIOS via USB?

9. middleton

middleton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's no need in such words like "the master". I'll have a look at X301 BIOS but can't exactly tell you when it happens. Send me an empty email with "X301 BIOS mod" header, I gave address on page 7. As soon as the patch is ready you'll receive it.

10. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    A X200s would also greatly benefit from a dual-IDA bios, gaining a full extra multiplier. Eg: SL9600-2.13@x8 -> 2.4@x9. Is that another you could look at in parallel to the X301 bios mod?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.