T61/X61 SATA II 1.5 Gb/s cap - willing to pay for a solution

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by dubak, Feb 14, 2010.

?

Would you be willing to spend some money for a solution enabling SATA II on your T61/X61

1. YES

228 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

92 vote(s)
    28.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabouty

Jabouty Newbie

Reputations:
    First, thank you to Middleton for the work put in on this.

Second, I've read darn near every page on this thread over the last couple of days and haven't yet found an answer to my question, so I'll ask in the hopes of not being trolled (I specifically waited to read as much of this thread as I could before registering to ask this):
    Third, my next post will be in response to the number of "How do I get this to work from a USB stick?" questions I've found in this thread.

2. Jabouty

Jabouty Newbie

Reputations:
    These instructions are for those using Windows XP or better.
    1. Download the appropriate BIOS file for your particular machine
    2. Procure and install WinRar if you do not have it already.
    3. Using WinRar, extract the main archive file into a sub-directory, and then extract the appropriate .ISO file into a sub-directory as well.
      [​IMG]
    4. Open a Command Window (click the start button and in the search bar type "CMD") as admin (right click the resulting CMD.exe and run as administrator).
      [​IMG]
    5. Type DISKPART [ENTER].
    6. Plug in your USB Stick and make sure that Windows recognizes it.
      • Note the reported size, this will help identify the right drive to use in the DISKPART utility.
    7. In the command window with the DISKPART utility running type LIST DISK [ENTER]
      • Note which disk in the list is your USB based on the reported sizes
    8. Now type SELECT DISK *N* [ENTER]
      • *N* being corresponding number of your USB drive noted above during step 7.
    9. Now type CLEAN [ENTER].
      • Make absolutely sure that the disk you selected *IS* your USB stick as this essentially removes all partition information from the selected disk!
    10. After completion of step 9, type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY [ENTER].
    11. Now make that partition active by typing ACTIVE [ENTER].
    12. Now we need need to set up the file system as Fat32: type FORMAT FS=FAT32 QUICK [ENTER] (It should be obvious that "quick" specifies that we want to perform a quick format to speed up the process).
    13. Now we need to pick a drive letter to associate with the stick.
      • Open "My Computer" and make sure that the letter you wish to give the stick is not already taken (I typically choose a letter the end of alphabet like "X").
    14. Now that you have a letter picked let's assign it: type ASSIGN LETTER=*A* [ENTER] (*A* being the letter that you chose in step 13).
    15. Now we can get the thing ready for the actual use. Type EXIT [ENTER] as many times as you need to close the command prompt window(s).
    16. In windows open the thumb drive and copy over the files in the sub-directory that you created by extracting the .ISO file (a simple drag and drop will do).
      • Do not copy over the .ISO file itself, copy the extracted files.
    Now make sure you can boot off the USB stick in the BIOS and then simply plug the USB stick in and reboot the system. This essentially makes the USB the exact same as the CD but with a more stable interface.

3. 'ingo

'ingo Newbie

Reputations:
    I flashed my T61 (8891CTO) 2.29 - 1.08 with CTRL-FN swap, but i don´t like the inverted keys. So after that i flashed the version without CTRL-FN swap but the keys still changed :(

Please help me.
    How can i fix it?

4. middleton

middleton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The answer is here.

5. 'ingo

'ingo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Middleton, works fine :)

6. sliminat0r

sliminat0r Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

first respect for your work, found a link on another forum while searching for a solution for my question:
    i want to buy a t61 (8889) - fed up with hp-stuff - and want to upgrade its cpu (7300) with another cpu that i got from a dell vostro (9300). besides i want to replace the hdd with a sdd (probably a crucial m4 64gb) and upgrade the ram to 8gb.
    i think with middletons-solution it should work fine, shouldn't it? or will there be problems with my mobo? will the themal sensing cause problems?

or should i just try? ;)

appreciate every answer

7. rumbero

rumbero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you aware of the big nVIDIA issue the complete T61 generation is suffering from? Downside of all 8889 models is that they all feature the 99% faulty nVIDIA GPU. There is no 8889 with Intel graphics, and therefore i'd suggest to avoid them. I also had a 8889-ALG which died for this very reason, and i had to replace it's mainboard with an Intel graphics one. Search Google for "nVIDIA Bug T61" for further information.

Better look for an 8895, which all came with the safe and cool running Intel graphics. Following models already have a Penryn CPU and matching mainboard:

8895-A5L: T8100, 8895-A6L: T8300, 8895-A7L: T9300, 8895-A5P: T8100, 8895-A6P: T8300, 8895-A7P: T9300, 8895-A6S: T8300, 8895-A5S: T8100, 8895-A5Y: T8100, 8895-A7S: T9300, 8895-A7Y: T9300, 8895-A6Y: T8300, 8895-A2G: T8100, 8895-A9B: T8100, 8895-A8G: T8300, 8895-ALG: T8300, 8895-AC9: T8100, 8895-WC7: T8100, 8895-AMG: T9300, 8895-WCN: T9500, 8895-AD9: T8300, 8895-WCZ: T9300, 8895-WD7: T8100, 8895-WD1: T9300, 8895-WFJ: T9300, 8895-AE9: T8100, 8895-WF3: T8300, 8895-WFY: T9300

If you buy any other Merom based T61 it will most certainly show the thermal sensing error.

8. sliminat0r

sliminat0r Newbie

Reputations:
    hey rumbero,

thx for your answer. i should have thought about it, had a 2133 with the nvidia issue, same on hp tx1000 and the vostro i got the cpu from. then i will look for one of those you mentioned and try to get it as cheap as possible ;). i don't want another notebook with black screens, had enough now...you really saved me from unnecessary suffering!

edit: will the intel 965 express be right? don't know the exact modelno, ebay-seller doesn't specify.

9. sliminat0r

sliminat0r Newbie

Reputations:
    finally got my t61 (7659). flashed bios, replaced the cpu (7300) with the one from the vostro (9300) and everything is working. unfortunately, the ssd hasn't arrived yet.

10. FightOrFlight

FightOrFlight Newbie

Reputations:
    I have registered solely to thank Middleton for his magnificent BIOS work. After upgrading the wireless card in my T61 7659 I hit the famous 1802 error message. So I used the 2.29 - 1.08 BIOS flash from a boot CD and problem solved, I am now upgraded to Wireless N standard.

Can only wish I had the brainpower to perform BIOS mods, bit I haven't, and can only offer my thanks to those who do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.