T61/X61 SATA II 1.5 Gb/s cap - willing to pay for a solution

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by dubak, Feb 14, 2010.

?

Would you be willing to spend some money for a solution enabling SATA II on your T61/X61

1. YES

228 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

92 vote(s)
    28.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TuuS

TuuS Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Bootable CD boots and begins the flash. If the system is unstable, there is no way to abort. It behaves like a good soldier, and will march into certain death without a second thought.

The first time I tried this bios (read my prior posts here), I used the bootable CDrom and it turned the computer into a brick. Later testing seems to show the optical drive had some "issues", showing random read errors. It only takes one small read error during the flash to destroy your bios, and I'd also prefer to boot up my computer and make sure it looks stable before doing something as serious as a bios flash, with the bootdisc, it will proceed even if the system isn't stable.

Since the last post, I've installed this bios on 11 T61 thinkpads, all installed flawlessly, and all were done using the install program, not the bootable iso.

I would recommend you install this on Vista or Seven (32bit) if possible. Windows XP acts a bit strange, it seems to do the flash, then appears to begin over and redo 2 of the blocks, but out of the 11 systems I tested this on, 4 were windows XP and they all worked fine even though it was a bit scary seeing it repeat the process.

On the 64bit systems I installed it on, I simply installed a 32bit vista harddrive and installed the update from it, but you can do it from a 32bit windows startup disc, then run the bios update from the harddrive.

Also keep in mind that even a confirmed (verified) disc burn could still be sloppy and difficult for your optical drive to read. If the drive cannot read a sector on the disc, it will rescan it and try to correct. Usually it can recover from this, but we've all probably seen the effects of a sloppy burn with video playpack, were the screen pixelates or stutters, which usually easily recovers, but there is no recovery for a halfway burned bios update, so my advice is only attempt it from an optical disc if you are 100% sure you have a good clean burn, and a 100% error free drive.

If your running the update from windows, make sure your system is stable. If you've had any bluescreen crashes at all, then consider your system as less then stable and proceed accordingly.

You might also consider running the program from safe-mode, this will load only the most essential drivers, so should be a much more stable environment.

As for the Bios, I can safely say it's safe to use and if you do have a problem and it ruins your bios, it won't be anything that wouldn't have happened if you used the official Lenovo bios update.

Thank you for your efforts Middleton, nice work.

2. iammik

iammik Newbie

Reputations:
    Are there ways to run the flash via 32-bit fedora?
    I don't have 32-bit windows.. but i accidentally installed 32-bit fedora instead of 64-bit. So I want to flash it before I revert to 64-bit. I have a X61T so CD is hard to access...

Thanks.

3. TuuS

TuuS Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You cannot run the 32bit flash program under linux... well, you could try if you had a pile of laptops you were willing to sacrifice if the program crashed, but I'm sure that's not the case.

You can use a 32bit windows bootdisc, then either run it from the harddrive (probably need a ntfs or fat partition) or other medium. Other then that, I'd say your only option would be the .iso installer, just make very sure the drive is good and your system is stable.

Good luck

4. LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15 The Chairman

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Just put a Crucial m4 128GB in my SO's T61. I have not installed an OS yet, I wished to flash the BIOS (via CD) prior to doing so.

I get partway into the routine and get "Error during flash. Error code = 99 (179). "Flash Over Lan" and all similar features are enabled. I had a BIOS setup password on the system, which I have cleared and disabled in case this was the issue. This did not resolve things. I then erased all fingerprint data, and cleared the security chip. This did resolve my issues and allowed the BIOS to flash; I just wanted to forward this on in case anyone else was experiencing issues.

I'll be booting off USB to install Windows 7 and we'll see how it goes. By the way, did anyone else have issues fitting their 2.5" SSD into the T61? I had to skip using the screws and HDD housing, and just use the rubber rails, or the drive door would not fit back on.

EDIT: One other reminder --flashing the BIOS defaults back to "Compatibility" mode rather than AHCI. (amused, but exasperated sigh)

Off to install Windows 7 a second time.

5. handbrighthand

handbrighthand Newbie

Reputations:
    installed the dual ida bios on my x61, tried throttlestop but don't really know how to use it to enable the additional multiplier, can it be done in bios alone?

thx.

6. tqbinh

tqbinh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Click Turn On. Go to Profile 1, check and set the multiplier, click Save. If the multiplier is not set, go back and forth between Profile 1 and 2 several times.

7. handbrighthand

handbrighthand Newbie

Reputations:
    tried, but sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't...??? do i have to enable eist or sflw?

btw, is there a way to automate this at every boot? do i have to keep throttlestop running all the time? will it let the cpu slow down or keep it running at top speed?

thx very much.

8. eyeland

eyeland Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  9. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    let me know if somebody is having wireless problems with the hacked BIOS.

I'm back in the same boat that I was before, and I'm getting bunch of NETw4x32 5002/5005 errors in the event log /system. The model wifi card is in my sig.

I'm trying to find some info before flashing the lenovo BIOS to see if that will fix the problem.

10. ThinkLover

ThinkLover Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've got the same card in my R61 and it works without any problems @ middleton's BIOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.