T61/X61 SATA II 1.5 Gb/s cap - willing to pay for a solution

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by dubak, Feb 14, 2010.

?

Would you be willing to spend some money for a solution enabling SATA II on your T61/X61

1. YES

228 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

92 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. internlin

internlin Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear middleton,

Thank for your great work, I donated you 1 year ago.

I flash the 2.22-1.03 for my X61 7673-DQ6, generally it runs well, but the vista freeze(*) and I need to re power-up my X61.

Does it happen to anyone here?

(*)

Today, it hang( can not move, no captial Lock light on-off ) more than 5 times on my X61 7673-DQ6, it usually happens randomly when

1. I clicked on a hyperlink( web page ). or
    2. I am browsng a webpage and/or scrolling a webpage

If it hangs or freezes, I have no idea but reboot by power-off.

My environment is: Windows Vista Home 32, IE7

Please help, and tries to update the bios, thank you so much.

Regards,
    Fu-Chia Lin, from Taiwan.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  2. X61-Stand

X61-Stand Newbie

Reputations:
    Got BSOD trying to start Chrome & Opera together (i.e. disk intensive). Was using the modified 1.24. I'm flashing back to the stock 1.25 bios. Also having problems installing Linux from USB. It was basically trying to communicate with the X25-m and hanging. So, I'll update you on whether the modified bios was the problem when I get a chance tomorrow.

3. symbot

symbot Newbie

Reputations:
    I wish you hadn't told me that. I am totally satisfied with the current performance, but now I will probably spend several hours tweaking my OCZ drive to try to optimize it...

4. middleton

middleton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try to flash versions 2.21-1.03 from the page 8 (with and without dual-IDA). Does your problem persist?

Will wait your information.

5. internlin

internlin Newbie

Reputations:
    I will keep 2.22-1.03 for a while, to keep testing the stability. And my system is different from yesterday.

Today: Vista Home 32bit, IE8, thinkpad wireless abg (my x61 original)...
    Yesterday: Vista Home 32bit, IE7, Intel Wimax 6250 (with FRU)...

To check if there are any errors (randomly!!) like yesterday:

1. I clicked on a hyperlink( web page ). or
    2. I am browsng a webpage and/or scrolling a webpage or even worse
    3. No reason no touch but down, freeze

If it hangs or freezes, I have no idea but reboot by power-off.

6. X61-Stand

X61-Stand Newbie

Reputations:
    No problem w/ bios. The 1.24 hack on the X61t is working fine. There are a number of problems installing linux, apparently, none of which involve the new bios.

7. andysmcheah

andysmcheah Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, need help to flash my T61 bios. I down load the new bios on page 8 and write to cd. Restart my T61, at the Thinkpad logo hit the F12 button and select cd start up but instead of auto flashing, Windows XP starts. (I already enable the lan at configaration) Pls help, I wonder what I did wrong. Thanks

8. mihai5k

mihai5k Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    flashed the 2.29 modified BIOS on a T61P .

OCZ Vertex2 Sequential Read went from 127.8 MB/s before the update to 211.1 MB/s after the update. That's ~65% more.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

I have a 7200 drive in ultrabay, and so far everything works ok, with one comment: after the update HD Tune PRO gives an I/O error while trying to do a benchmark on the 7200 Drive in ultrabay.
    Before the update this did not happen. I'm guessing this is the reason they blocked the SATA to SATA1.
    I do want to mention that i've tried to copy large files (GB) to/from the HDD, and all my tests went without any error. I'll try to see if I can get the error in a real-life situation.

Maybe a good backup strategy would not be such a bad ideea :)

9. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    that's what they said the reason was for SATA1 in the first place. Good to know its somewhat valid though.

in BIOS there's this option of setting the CD-ROM speed to "High","Normal", and something else. Try to see if you can play with that while you're with the HDD in the ultrabay instead of the CD-ROM.

also, most likely you did not get any errors because the speed of the HDD that is in the utrabay is well within SATA1 limits. Maybe put an SSD there and that could become a problem.

10. ym1

ym1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use this on my x61 and my x300 both fine. The only issue I have is on my x300 is if I unplug from power sometimes it locks up and I have to hard power it. I'm not sure if this SSD related or this bios related but its like 1 out of 15 that it happens so not something I really want to invest time in fixing.

ym