T61/X61 SATA II 1.5 Gb/s cap - willing to pay for a solution

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by dubak, Feb 14, 2010.

?

Would you be willing to spend some money for a solution enabling SATA II on your T61/X61

1. YES

228 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

92 vote(s)
    28.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 996GT2

996GT2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Done. Will flash and run benchmarks tonight. Thanks!

2. 996GT2

996GT2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just flashed the modded BIOS onto my Thinkpad T61 w/Windows 7 x64, and the modded BIOS seems to work! Here are the results:

*I have the 40GB version of the X-25M G2, so the sequential write speeds are capped at around 40 MB/s.

System Info:
    2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo T8300, 4 GB DDR2, 40GB Intel X-25M G2 (Main bay), 640GB Samsung 5400RPM HDD (Ultrabay).

Drive Info:
    [​IMG]

Before flash:
    [​IMG]

After flash:

[​IMG]

The performance of the Samsung hard drive in the Ultrabay seems to be unaffected:
    [​IMG]

The most interesting part is that the 4k read/write speeds seem to have increased as well. 4k random read/write performance is arguably the most important classifier of SSD performance.

3. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Use CrystadiskMark 3.0 for comparative benchmarking between sata-I and sata-II SSD performance. It has a 4KB-QD=32 simulating the multithreaded read/writes that occur during OS bootup. Enable AHCI to provide NCQ.

4. jketzetera

jketzetera Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Your AS SSD numbers show a very impressive improvement! Middleton's BIOS patch suddenly made it interesting to buy a Micron C300 or a SandForce based SSD for use in a T61 (before the patch, the Intel G2 seemed to be the best choice).

When I get the time later in the week I will do a clean reinstall of Windows 7 on my T61p and install PCMark and Passmark.

I will then do a backup image of the system and do a secure erase of the SSD. Then I will restore the image and run the tests. After the tests are completed I will reflash with the standard BIOS and do a new secure erase. Then I will restore the image and run the tests again.

Thereby the two obtained test sets will be fully comparable against each other.

5. XStoneX

XStoneX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I made several other tests like standby, hibernation, dock in & out there couldn't be found any problems. Seems to be ok to publish it...

6. microic

microic Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear middleton

I can't use a PM. I sent you email thorugh list.ru . Would you check your email and send me a reply email?

7. hisdudeness

hisdudeness Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow, just found that thread and I'm impressed! I was already thinking about buying a new laptop supporting 3GBs SATA but if this is really working I would love to keep my T61 and X61!

Btw: Middleton if you need some more tests (T61 and X61) just let me know. You can download my vcard here in the forum from my user profile where my email address is available.

The bootable CD Iso-Image you have sent to XStoneX, is that the offical one from Lenovo?

THANKS!

8. jason930

jason930 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    having searched for several years. It is happy that we got the solution.

Does anyone test the bios with x61?

because i am planning to buy a ssd for my x61 later

9. feuergrau

feuergrau Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello middleton,
    I´m also a T61 owner (Model 7663-15G). I use Ultrabay HDD module, DVD-RW Drive and the Mini Dock.
    I would also volunteer for testing and would post my Postville Benchmark results here.
    PM does not work with my account here but maybe you can PM me?
    Regards,
    feuergrau

10. middleton

middleton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's the official CD-image from lenovo's site. I just replaced the BIOS file by the patched one.

The patch for X61 is being tested right now by one X61 owner. Guys please wait a little. I'll place here links to the modified BIOS-es very soon. You waited for years. I just ask you to wait one more day :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.