T61/X61 SATA II 1.5 Gb/s cap - willing to pay for a solution

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by dubak, Feb 14, 2010.

?

Would you be willing to spend some money for a solution enabling SATA II on your T61/X61

1. YES

228 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

92 vote(s)
    28.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Apologies for the confusion, the instructions I written is for the R61i which has an optical drive. For the X61 try these instructions that I written a few pages back which uses the USB flash drive.

2. theblooms

theblooms Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks again for the quick reply. Yup, that's what I'm doing. I get all the way into the BIOS loader, choose "Yes" a couple of times, then during the actual flash of the BIOS, that's when the computer hangs. I've let it set for HOURS and HOURS, and nothing.

3. PatchySan

Reputations:
    Hmmm that does sound strange, what happens when you try an official BIOS from Lenovo (using the Bootable method)? Don't worry as you can downgrade back and forth to different versions if needed, I recall that if the BIOS version you try to flash matches the current version on the system then it refuses to do anything until it's different for those generation machines.

You could also try loading the default settings for the BIOS settings to rule out any foul play from certain settings in the BIOS.

4. theblooms

theblooms Newbie

Reputations:
    Yup, did all of that, too. I had 1.25 factory on there, and it said "No Update Needed", so I downgraded to 1.24. Now it acts like it wants to take then 1.25 version of Middleton's BIOS, but it hangs. And yup, except for booting via USB, all of the BIOS settings are standard.

5. PatchySan

Reputations:
    I did some testing myself on my T61 with the DOS based USB flash drive and "updtflsh" doesn't seem to work for Middleton's BIOS which is probably what you're experiencing (comes with Opcode matrix style errors - spooky). However on command prompt I've tried instead "FLASH2 /u" and it started the flashing process immediately. I've successfully flashed my T61 from Middleton's 2.29 to Middleton's 2.27 (I still got a copy of his old file heh) and vice-versa without issues from thereon. I hope this will works out for you in the end otherwise I be stumped.

Full Process (from what I did...)

- Install and run the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.
    - Formatted USB Flash Drive in FAT32 (I've used Kingston DataTraveller 8GB G4) along with win98boot files. Smaller USB drives (<4GB) in FAT16 works fine too.
    - Open Middleton's ISO file using an archive extractor and copy the contents over to the newly formatted drive (I've used WinRAR but 7Zip does the job too).
    - When prompted to overwrite Command.com don't do it - leave it alone.
    - Restart the system, Press F1 to BIOS, check Ethernet LAN options are enabled, especially Flash Over LAN. F10 to save and restart.
    - Press F12 to enter boot settings, scroll to USB Drive and press enter.
    - You may get a quick nostalgic flashback of the Windows 98 boot screen before disappearing to DOS. On Command Prompt type "dir".
    - Check FLASH2.exe is there. Then type "FLASH2 /u" then enter.
    - Let it run the process, my system prompted me when its done by giving me a loud beep (probably some profanity beep on the number of times I flashed the poor thing).
    - It will restart, press F1 to enter BIOS. Check version number, if matches to Middleton's BIOS version then you successfully flashed to the modified BIOS.

Jeikeco likes this.
  6. theblooms

theblooms Newbie

Reputations:
    Awesome! I'll give it a go tonight and report back! Thanks for your help!

7. theblooms

theblooms Newbie

Reputations:
    DUDE!!! THAT DID IT!! YOU STRAIGHT ROCK!!!! My Disk Data rate WEI score went from 5.1 to 7.75!!! HUGE improvement!!!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Jeikeco likes this.
  8. Jeikeco

Jeikeco Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello. I also am looking for some help with my X61 tablet. I recently stuck a ssd in and I'm needing to am mend the bios to the Middleton bios. I did recently update the bios to the most recent provided on the Lenovo website (thinking I was updating it to work with my ssd @ sata2) so I'm sure I need to downgrade first, to then upgrade! I'm also now running Windows 10 @ 64bit so.......is my only option to burn a cd or can I use a USB method (I think I saw a previous post outlining how to do this). The next thing is can someone (theblooms or PatchySans) repost a link or pm me or email! Me a copy of the Middleton bios for the x61tablet. The copies I have found recently don't seem to want to unpack in any rar unpacking programs I have been trying (all in Windows 10 but in different machines). Thanks in advance.

9. PatchySan

Reputations:
    You can find Middleton's BIOS files from the ThinkWiki page here. If you're having trouble to extract just use 7Zip to acquire the files. Since the X61 Tablet doesn't come with a internal optical drive your best bet is using the bootable USB drive method. No need to worry about existing operating systems as it is OS independent (it uses its own DOS environment).

Just acquire the following apps and files (HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool & win98boot files) and follow my recent instructions using the "FLASH2 /u" command to upgrade the BIOS.

10. Jeikeco

Jeikeco Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks ParchySan.

I seem to still have a problem 'unpacking' the BIOS download. It arrives to my computer as a .rar file. But wth the many unpacking apps out there I can't find one that 'unpacks' it. Should I just be changing it to a different extension type (like .exe or .iso)

Hope fully I can follow the rest after that
    Thanks

Jei

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.