T61/X61 SATA II 1.5 Gb/s cap - willing to pay for a solution

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by dubak, Feb 14, 2010.

?

Would you be willing to spend some money for a solution enabling SATA II on your T61/X61

1. YES

228 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

92 vote(s)
    28.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    I use neither Samsung SSDs nor W10 so someone else will have to chime in with an answer to these questions.

Good luck.

2. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    HDTune has some problem when it goes above the shown speed. I remember back in the day I had to change something in the settings there to make it test using different size blocks or something like that to show the full potential of the drive, so it's not that your laptop doesn't do the SATA2 speed, it's HDTune that cant test it correctly.

CrystalDiskMark is showing correctly your speed.

3. ErikLextro

ErikLextro Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, Iam newbie here greetings; I bought a X61s and need help, the X61s has installed Bios 2.22 official Lenovo and when I try to upgrade to Bios Middleton's, the message: You do not need to update BIOS is the same.
    You can rename or do something to upgrade.

4. muek

muek Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very very very march!R61 14.1" widescreen without IEEE 1394,I think only here in the world!My English so poor,In short, thank you very much!谢谢!!

5. ZeDingo

ZeDingo Newbie

Reputations:
    Just finished successfully flashing to a T61 running 32-bit Win7 Home Premium. Thanks for the hard work; my newer Intel 4965 (with n) and my AR5xxx chips all work on it now.

6. MartinPC

MartinPC Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an R61 8918CTO 15.4" widescreen. I successfully loaded the Fn-Ctrl-swap version of Middleton's BIOS (after a brief, slightly scary initial failure because I hadn't thought to disable security features in the previous BIOS before attempting to flash).

Anyway, my primary hard drive is now running at SATA II but my secondary hard drive in an OEM (Lenovo) UltraBay Slim HDD caddy is still running at SATA I. Is this a limitation of the caddy or of the port itself? Is it fixable, possibly by finding a third-party caddy designed to handle SATA II? Any tips (or even a definitive "no") would be appreciated.

Background:

As part of my backup-and-recovery strategy, I periodically clone my internal system drive to an identical secondary drive in the UltraBay caddy. (Between clonings, I keep data and certain configuration files synced between the two drives in real time.) With around 1TB of data on a 2TB drive, cloning takes around 5 hours 20 minutes on my R61. (Or rather, it took that long pre-Middleton; I haven't done a clone since I upgraded, but with the UltraBay HDD still running at SATA I post-Middleton, I don't expect it will be a lot faster.)

I use the same cloning and syncing strategy on a ThinkPad T510 that has identical drives to the R61, the same amount of RAM, and nearly identical software and data (around 1 TB). On the T510, which has native SATA II on both the primary and UltraBay ports, cloning takes only around 2 hours 40 minutes. I'd be thrilled to approach that level of performance on the R61.

By the way, in case Middleton ever reads this, thank you. I sometimes have to use other makes of laptops, and it's really nice to have the Control key in a consistent location. (Thankfully, the Fn-Ctrl-swap option is built into the T510's official BIOS, even if not much else is...)

7. theblooms

theblooms Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a question fro you guys. I have a Thinkpad X61 Tablet, FRU 7762-AS1, and for the life of me I can't get the Middleton BIOS to load. This is the version I'm using [https://ia601508.us.archive.org/11/items/middletons-bios/Dual-IDA_SATA-II_Whitelist_SLIC21_ThinkPad_X61_Tablet_BIOS_(1.25-1.02).rar] gotten from [http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Middleton's_BIOS].

When the computer gets to the stage that says "Now Updating, this could take up to 1 minute", it just hangs. I've let it sit for over an hour, and nothing.

I want to do the update because I have an SSD in the computer, and I know that going from SATA I to SATA II can be a huge performance increase.

Any ideas as to why the computer is hanging? Battery is fully charged, and it's running off of AC power. I can load a factory firmware just fine, so I know the USB is working. The ISO files I'm extracting to the USB drive is from the 7suj19uc.iso file inside of the rar package.

If y'all could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

8. Matthew Duffy McGough

Matthew Duffy McGough Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a R61i 7650-8du with out ieee. Win 7 home premium 64 bit and I can't get the iso download to boot up. How can I make it happen. I followed the instructions to no avail...HELP!
    Is there an .exe yet?

9. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Ensure you burn the ISO contents to a blank disc and not the ISO file itself on to the disc. With the AC and battery (with charge) plugged in reboot the system and press F1 to go to the BIOS menu.

In the BIOS go to Config -> Network section -> Enable Flash on LAN and ensure this is on otherwise it won't work. Then check your boot order and make sure the DVD/CD drive is listed in the Boot list. Confirm by pressing F10 and then on restart with the ThinkPad logo keep pressing F12 to bring the boot menu. Select the DVD/CD drive and run the BIOS flash.

While processing do not turn it off even if it looks like its doing nothing! It will prompt you when its done, remove the disc, press F1 on restart and check the BIOS version to ensure it is correct.

10. theblooms

theblooms Newbie

Reputations:
    I appreciate the suggestion, but the Thinkpad X61 Tablet doesn't have an optical drive, so it must be done by booting from a USB drive. Like I said, I've used the same operation to load a Lenovo iso, I just can't figure out why it won't load Middleton's BIOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.