T61/X61 SATA II 1.5 Gb/s cap - willing to pay for a solution

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by dubak, Feb 14, 2010.

?

Would you be willing to spend some money for a solution enabling SATA II on your T61/X61

1. YES

228 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

92 vote(s)
    28.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    1. When you install the BIOS, you have the option of choosing one with the Fn and Ctrl keys in their normal positions, or to have them swapped. You make the choice by which BIOS file you install. Both are included in the download and it is written which is which. Do the BIOS install again, but just be careful with choosing the one you install.

2: Fn + F5 is not a BIOS issue. The Lenovo Power Manager software is supposed to take care of it in Windows, but with using a non-Lenovo wireless card, it no longer works. I have the issue in both my X61 and my T500. There is the physical switch at the bottom edge of the palm rest, so it really shouldn't be any problem anyway.

2. 7set38ww

7set38ww Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you jonashendrickx for hosting the files and Middleton for the BIOS update.
    I tried searching for the original files but it was difficult to find without knowing what the original file names were. I compared the SHA-256 checksum of the ISO from jonashendrickx to that from another that also claimed to be the correct update and they both match which gave me reasonable assurance.
    Dual-IDA_SATA-II_Whitelist_SLICThinkPad_XTablet_BIOS_(1.25-1.02)/BIOS update/7suj19uc.iso 0826F350586DBAAE9B13A4B109B9F784703AA27A1E8176235490E2D8E9051B7A
    I used the ISO to burn a CD and booted from it. The flash was aborted with message "error during flash error code 99 179" which warned of something to do with Windows BitLocker, but the only OS on the disk is Linux. I gave it the three finger salute and rebooted into the BIOS configuration and disabled the TPM and then tried to flash again which completed with success. Simplistic before and after disk benchmarks show a good improvement.

3. TuuS

TuuS Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    MIDDLETON'S MODIFIED THINKPAD BIOS

What is it?

The modified ThinkPad BIOS created by Middleton allows the user to:

- Unlock the SATA II cap implemented by Lenovo so that users can utilise the full 3Gb/s speed.

- Removes the Mini PCI-Express Whitelisting allowing people to install compatible Wireless Cards of their choice.

- Disables the Thermal Sensing Error on startup for users who upgraded from the Merom C2D processors to the later Penryn C2D processors (on select models).

- Enables Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA) which allows processor overclocking for increased performance.

- CTRL-FN key mapping swap for those who prefer this arrangement over the default layout. This is an optional feature which is available on a separate BIOS package.

- Integrated SLIC 2.1 Table.

DISCLAIMER: Use these modified bios at your own risk!!

These modified bios have been beta tested to confirm they do not brick the system after flash. However data integrity tests take time and it's up to the user to confirm there is no data loss due to the increased SATA-II interface speed. You will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from flashing or using of the patched BIOS.

Lenovo have never tested or approved these patched bios and doesn't support them. They are provided "as is" without any warranties from Lenovo. These bios-es are completely unofficial releases.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  5. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    Just want to add that you can remove the X61 BIOS. There is absolutely no purpose for it. The X61 BIOS works only on the stock 1024x768, while the X61 SXGA+ BIOS works on both 1024x768 and 1440x1050.

You should remove the X61 BIOS and relable the X61 SXGA+ BIOS as just X61 BIOS.

6. Ailves

Ailves Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, middleton
    I'm new on this forum and I have the same problem (R61 + SSD on SATA II/III). Could you help me and tell where can I download new BIOS with support SATA IIII(III)?
    Thank you,
    Alexander

7. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    Welcome to the forum!

There is no BIOS that would add SATA III support for the *61 series machine. The chipset simply doesn't support those speeds.

8. baronng

baronng Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just upgraded a R61 to 3G Ram and SSD, with the BIOS mod for enabling SATA2 and switching the Ctrl <-> Fn key

The result has been amazing!
    It is so much faster now and I can use it on daily use

It was barely usable before the upgrade!

Thanks for the BIOS mod!

9. Poil

Poil Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

Just a big thanks, I have a T9800ES for some years and pressed ESC at each boot, now I don't need more :)

10. openSUSE

openSUSE Newbie

Reputations:
    My Nvidia chip gets too hot after the BIOS upgrade. I pulled the fan and artic silvered it but to no avail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.