T61 keyboard

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by jd1010, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd1010

jd1010 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've had a t61 for a year now. I love the keyboard but I've used it so much that the keyboard has that glossy feel to it that makes it feel like it's dirty but it doesn't go away with a cleaning. Is there anyway to get lenovo to replace this under warranty? I have the 3 year next day depot warranty. Also, is it difficult to replace the keyboard? I've only opened the computer once and that was to replace the ram. Is it any harder than that?

2. batman5315

batman5315 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yeah they will replace it. call them up. its about 5 screws to replace and they will ship it with instructions if you are unsure

3. jd1010

Reputations:
    Is there anything I gotta say to them specifically, or any specific keyboard I should request? I know there were 3 different manufacturers of the keyboards. But, I remember everyone always saying one was better than the rest of them. Also, which number should I call?

4. batman5315

batman5315 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    call 1-800-426-7378
    and
    go here

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68225

to see a list of keyboards by language and by type. assuming you're US and want an NMB keyboard, then the FRU you want is = 42T3143

I've done this three times (me, my brother and my cousin) and its always worked. just tell them you're not happy, the keyboard makes strange clicky noises and you tried out a friends (you liked it) and found his FRU number and want what that specific keyboard.

the problem is that everybody is doing this now so they might not have it in stock. you can keep calling back till you confirm its in stock

also i've read that they've been mislabeling chicony keyboards as NMB (probably to move excess stock). you can tell by the soft feel of the NMB and if you look at the keyboard from the side (different key mechanism)

5. jd1010

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot, I just called and put in the order for the NMB keyboard. It was pretty quick and easy. Now hopefully the NMB is really a NMB and not a Chicony. I have the ALPS right now and I've been pretty satisfied.

6. jd1010

Reputations:
    I got the keyboard last night, and I installed it. I'm pretty sure it's the NMB keyboard. It's much quieter than the ALPS keyboard. However, I feel like I can't type as fast on this keyboard. Anyway, thanks for the help.

7. runrunForest

runrunForest Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

do you have to return the old one ?

8. zerosource

zerosource Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    brilliant! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.