1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

T60 Vs T61

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by recain, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recain

recain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, guys. I've decided to by a T-series Lenovo laptop, but could anyone tell me the major differences between the T60 and T61 models? Thanks in advance.;)

2. fd9_

fd9_ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Aside from being the first "built by Lenovo" system, it has a roll cage and new cooling system. Some argue that the T61 is less superior in terms of build quality, but that's mostly speculation.

If you want my opinion: Get a T61 simply because you get a lot more bang for your buck. And may I also make a suggestion: If you order directly, buying your own RAM will be much cheaper.

3. Leon2245

Leon2245 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well aside from specs, just talking build points here...

60- magnesium lid
    vs 61's super elastic poly (plastic) lid w/roll cage (both have roll cage in case). I liked the 60's lid, but supposedly better wifi through plastic, and probably just as good.

61- newer cooling system, bigger fans/vents, quieter and cooler.

60- CENTERED SCREEN! vs offset in 61

60- tenth of an inch thinner than 61

60- standard aspect in 14.1/15, wide in 15.4 only
    vs 61- only wide in 14.1 and 15.4 for now

60- older but more proven (supposedly last "ibm design")
    vs 61 maybe still working bugs out, 1st all lenovo design, 1st from Compal plant.

60- flush fit 6 cell,
    vs 61 flush fit 4 cell only in 14.1 wide

For me most of the above are a wash (ie aesthetics for 61 are a burn, but more than made up for by the superior cooling system; i like the fit and finish of magnesium lid and 60's design, but in practice plastic shell over magnesium roll cage probably more durable etc)...

...SO it's probably going to boil down to sizes offered in each. If there had been a 14.1" wide t 60, I'd probably have gone that route over 61, b/c I don't need latest processor and graphics.

So depends on what you seek- 14.1" widescreen? latest processors? t61. Build quality? My preference is t 60 (though I chose 61), but probably a wash overall.

4. Tholek

Tholek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good points, but the T61 supposedly benefits from being designed by the same IBM techs as before, despite working for Lenovo now. Compal is a reason for concern, but I'm still confident in the superior design.

I went T61, but mostly for futurability. The T60 is a great machine, but a little behind.

5. furrycute

furrycute Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Only the 14" standard aspect ratio T60's come with a magnesium lid. The rest of the T60 line come with carbon fiber reinforced plastic lids.

6. SkiBunny

SkiBunny Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All good points. A couple of more...

If you want an IPS screen (which is much better quality than TN screen, but much more expensive), you have to get a T60 (15" in 4:3) because T61 only has TN lcd screens. Once you've used an IPS flexview screen, you'll probably dislike the TN screen.

T61 offers integrated webcam and WWAN, T60 does not.

If you want the highest resolution (UXGA), you have to find a T60, because the T61 is not made with that much hi-res

T61 can ship with abgn wifi; T60 ships only with abg.

T60 offers 256mb dedicated graphics, T61 does not (yet).

Most T60 machines had an international warranty. T61 machines do not, unless you call Lenovo and get their prohibitively expensive international coverage. This coverage is valuable only if you ever move or travel abroad, or if you want want to enhance its potential resale value by making it appeal to someone in Europe (where laptops cost about twice as much).

T61 offers (slightly) faster processors and supports faster memory, tho few users will ever notice a difference.

7. recain

Reputations:
    Thank you all for replying. All the comments were very helpful and I decided to get the T60 model.

I found this great deal at my local BestBuy. They sell T60's for $1200 with pretty good specs, such as Core 2 Duo, 15.4" widescreen, 120 GB hard drive, and 1024MB DDR memory.

What do you think about this deal? I did some research and this one seems pretty cheap..

8. furrycute

Reputations:
    The Best Buy model has integrated graphics.

9. vaw

vaw Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's what I was thinking. All these complaints about Lenovo being inferior to IBM--but don't they have the same people designing the machines? Could there be a sudden and immediate downgrade simply because the owner changed?

10. SkiBunny

SkiBunny Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I dont think it was "sudden and immediate"... last year there was little change, but in 2007 there has been.

11. SkiBunny

SkiBunny Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In fact there has been an exodus of former IBM employees from Lenovo since December - from the top down. One top executive had a major disagreement with the direction Lenovo was taking the thinkpad line, as you may have read. Management direction has changed dramatically since last year. The IBM motto was, "Quality first because quality lasts" (we have posters with that).

The philosophy of new Lenovo mgmt seems to be, "to hell with quality, let's do QUANTITY and LOWER prices." Thus, the T61 is a cheaper and perhaps poorer quality laptop, as seems evident by the mounting service tickets for it.

12. vaw

vaw Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Where did they go?:rolleyes:

13. recain

Reputations:
    What does it mean?

14. SkiBunny

SkiBunny Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You might wanna wait about a week and check the Lenovo site for a possible 4th of July sale, and compare to that. You'd also get the specs you want.

But with the big order backlog, maybe that sale will be reduced. I dunno so, I am just speculating.

15. SkiBunny

SkiBunny Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    IBM has hired thousands of ppl this year. The I/T job market has been pretty good. IBM pays better than Lenovo too. That's why its services and products are expensive lol.

16. SkiBunny

SkiBunny Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    He means no graphics card.

One big advantage of the T61 is that its integrated graphics seem to be much better than those in the T60.

The advantage is its better for gaming and for running the cute "aero glass" in vista. But those in the know are increasingly shying away from vista.

If you want to run games and the vista eye candy in a T60, you should one with a graphics card. Any graphics card that comes with the T60 will do for vista.

17. recain

Reputations:
    SkiBunny, thanks for the info. Also, on that T60 from Bestbuy it says that it has the "ATI RADEON X1400 GRAPHICS", so is it a real graphics card or not?

18. furrycute

Reputations:
    If it says it has the ATI x1400 graphics card, then it has a dedicated graphics card. Sounds a like a pretty good deal with a discrete graphics card.

The one I saw in Circuit City a couple of months back did not have a discrete graphics card.

19. recain

Reputations:
    Yep, for $1200 it would be a great buy. Hopefully will get it today.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.