1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

T540p!!!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by dzylon, Oct 30, 2013.

1. dzylon

dzylon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Browsing the Lenovo website as a student ( ThinkPad T Series: Premium Laptops | Lenovo (US) ), I came across the T540p. See the attached image.

I also saw the T440, T440p, T440s, and T431s, which are not visible on the standard site.

2880 x 1620 IPS? Dedicated graphics? This is phenomenal. I can't wait.

Edit: Added the stock image from Lenovo's website. Looks like they carried over the changes from their other lines (sleeker look, no locking mechanism, no TrackPoint buttons, etc). Doesn't really bother me because I've never owned a Thinkpad before (so I can't appreciate their functions), but I know this will be a dealbreaker for some.

Edit again: just updated the site. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t540p/

sdfds.PNG lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-t540p-front.png

2. iofthestorm

iofthestorm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Huh, considering the they specified the p suffix, I wonder if there will be a T540s. This may seem odd but I'd definitely buy a 15" ultrabook type machine, since most of my work doesn't require high power (or well, getting that kind of power in a laptop is annoying so desktops for anything heavy) but more screen space is always useful. And of course that resolution would be wonderful.

I'm currently most likely going for the T440s but if they announced a T540s at roughly the same thickness and weight (no dedicated graphics) I would definitely wait for that instead.

3. Cincinnatux

Cincinnatux Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How curious that they make no mention of touchscreen capabilities. PC World commented two days ago that Lenovo will not offer touchscreens on the X240 until December, with no comment from Lenovo to explain whether there is a supply issue or an integration issue delaying the option. I wonder if the T540p is facing the same challenge....

In response to the OP, your advantage is that you don't have prior ThinkPad experience. Laptop ergonomics are driven almost as much by muscle memory as they are by 'intuitive' design choices. You are unlikely to miss what you've never had. That being said, I found the ThinkPoint + discrete keys beneath the spacebar to be a game-changer for me what I don't have access to a USB mouse - and sometimes even when I *do* have access to a mouse. Hence the anxiety over design changes that change the articulation from discrete keys to a touchpad that has clickpoints beneath it. Maybe they designed it well enough that I won't mind, but that would be an impressive design achievement, since one of the strengths of the older design is the ability to feel the slant of the mousekey to know whether you are about to click left, center, or right. I use the center key more often than the other two.

But that's just me. You'll develop your own habits. You may never bother using your ThinkPoint. I now rely on mine, though, and am frustrated any time I use a laptop that lacks one.

The discrete graphics are nice to have, but I'm mildly disappointed that Lenovo only permits up to the 730M, one of the weakest discrete cards currently going into computers. I'll probably steer away from the 3K IPS. It'd be neat to have, but I suspect it will be a real battery hog and I'd rather limit that battery gluttony to the GPU, not the display. Besides, my external monitor is only 1080p; might as well have the two devices match resolution.

I am particularly curious to see real-world battery endurance ratings with machines that have the higher-end components. Hopefully there will still be some useful endurance levels for those of us who will be mobile power (& gaming) users, though that seems unlikely.

4. jook33

jook33 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    for the price they are charging for the 730m, it is real disappointing, especially for a below average card in today's standards, I too, am disappointed by that, they should have made an ultrabay option for SLI in all the new series, they would have a good hold on the market if they could offer such customization on their laptops, but then again people are less likely to upgrade due to the unit being so modular which most laptop companies want to steer from in the future (everything being closed and soldered, etc). it is also kind of weak for a 3k display,

now i really don't have a reason to upgrade my t430 other than the IPS display, which I would enjoy extensively, but the rest of the laptop doesn't seem like an upgrade to me, and the price point is ridiculous, i am better off swapping my display for an x1 carbon, not the same but pretty good, roughly 80 dollar operation, also i don't see a express card in the t440p, only the t540p, but if I were to consider a 15" i would go all out and get the W series.

5. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The GT730M is disappointing in a "p" version of a T-series machine, for sure, but in the case of the T540p at least there's an alternative in the W540, which will have Quadro K1100 and K2100 options.

Lenovo's always been a bit weak on the GPU in its "business" machines, which I suppose is understandable considering the main target market. Still, I wish they'd at least offer the same GPU as the Y-series (GT750M). I'm currently considering a T440p, but that weak GPU option is also making me look at the Dell M3800, which weighs about the same but has a far better GPU and screen

6. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    A very nice T540p configurations (for stundents only) went only today in Germany: Lenovo ThinkPad T540p 20BFS05L00 - ok1.de - Shop für Lehre und Forschung Nice price for this model I think.

The GT 730M isn´t that weak, considering it is faster than the Quadro 2000M, the fastest GPU used in the W520, and not very far from the Quadro K1100M.

7. Matte

Matte Newbie

Reputations:
    The T540p max RAM is 16GB which will limit its usable lifespan.

8. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's pretty common for non-workstation machines so I would not call that a black mark. IMO the 'p' T-series machines are not quite workstation caliber. The W540 looks like it's pretty much the same size as the T540p and will offer far more bang for the (slightly-higher) buck IMO including Quadro, RAID and up to 32GB of RAM.

9. mightaswell

mightaswell Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is that just the limit of what Lenovo is making available? The system could surely handle sticks of ram that are larger than 8GB each, if they were available.

10. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    2 DIMM slots means max. 16GB. There are no sticks of RAM greater than 8MB available. The W540 has four slots

11. mightaswell

Reputations:
    Doesn't mean that it will stay that way.

12. Cincinnatux

Reputations:
    All things being relative, I suppose. Of concern to me is that the 730M isn't capable of playing the best PC games of 2013 at native resolution. 2014 games aren't going to be any less GPU-intensive, and neither will 2015 games. I'm planning on getting a 14" or 15" laptop that will serve as my main computer (with my smartphone for supplemental computing tasks). I don't own a desktop machine any more because I don't have the luxury of a dedicated computing space. I have no interest in buying two separate laptops (for work and for play), so that means my laptop kinda needs to do both. ThinkPads have the best keyboards (so I can type all day at speed) and they have that great ThinkPoint nubbin for quick navigation, which I absolutely love on my wife's X220. It would be nice if I could get a ThinkPad with a gaming-caliber discrete GPU, like the 780M. The Quadro K2100 is great for workstation use (which I don't need), but isn't the right architecture for gaming, really, so the W540 isn't really a smart solution for me. I will probably get the T540p and live with the limited GPU performance. Getting a Y510 or whatever would be a compromise in the productivity end of computing, which is a dealbreaker for me. I'm going to spend 90+% of my laptop time working on it, not playing. I just wanted my 10% playtime to be immersive with the latest titles..... At least with Haswell and a limited GPU I'll get pretty good battery endurance, which is something no serious gaming laptop can boast. Gotta look on the b right side.....

13. dzylon

dzylon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    780M? Wow. The wattage on that beast is like four times that of the 730M, so you'd need a much bigger power brick and most likely a completely revamped cooling system. I personally would have been much happier with anything between a 750M and a 770M, but the 730M isn't too bad.

I'm not a very heavy gamer, but I've been buying Humble Bundles and stuff for years so that I could play them when I get a better laptop (as my current one can't even handle a game as demanding as Aquaria). With the 730M, I'm just concerned I wouldn't even be able to play a game like Minecraft at max settings on 3k HD. I could just decrease the game resolution, but that would bug the heck out of me.

Why can't I just buy a 750M directly from Nvidia or a reseller and put it in a laptop? Why do these people refuse to sell mobile graphics cards directly to consumers? Seriously.

14. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think @Cincinnatux and @ibmthink hit the nail on the head -- the GT730M isn't too bad, but the fact that it does little to futureproof a machine (and barely present-proofs it in some cases), compares favorably only to the W530's two-year old entry-level Quadro GPU, has only 1GB of dedicated RAM and is apparently the "new and un-improved" version with the higher-clocked 64-bit GK208 core rather than the 128-bit GK107 is testament to the fact that it's not too good, either :D

Then again the T540p is a all-purpose business machine, so expecting it to keep up with cutting-edge gaming or multimedia machines is asking too much. Still, the option of a GT750M in the 'p' T-series machines would have been nice. Heck, even a GT740M or simply offering 2GB of VRAM would have done a little more to make these a clear step above the plain old non-p machines.

15. dimkots

dimkots Newbie

Reputations:
  16. ibmthink

ibmthink ThinkPad Deity

Reputations:
    lead_org likes this.
  17. Cincinnatux

Reputations:
    I note that Crucial already has a page up advertising a 16 GB RAM upgrade kit for the T540p (less than half the cost of upgrading to 16 GB through Lenovo, unsurprisingly). I'm a bit frustrated by the lack of clarity regarding touchscreens, however. In September, they indicated that the default screen would not have touch sensitivity, but that the display upgrades would come with touch. The web site does not reinforce the early claim, and my understanding is that touchscreens have been delayed on the X240, making me wonder if they are also delayed on the T540p. Anyone know?

I was also surprised to see that SSD is not an option straight from Lenovo. Doesn't bother me, since I was planning on installing one separately anyhow, but I am surprised it isn't available from Lenovo. I guess their marketing research suggested that T540p buyers were unlikely to want SSD performance enough to pay?

18. unferth33

unferth33 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was playing with the configuration and you can get this one with a quad core cpu and NO additional gpu... and with the high res screen... that would lead to some interesting performance / battery life options..

hmm

19. kevroc

kevroc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I almost did that, but figured I could probably specify integrated video for most of the time and only go dedicated if I really needed to. That way I get battery life most of the time but have the option of kicking it up a bit if need be. It's a pricey upgrade though so I'm rethinking it...

I ordered the quad core, dedicated, 3k display, 802.11ac and wwan. Came out pretty expensive :)

The PDF page says the FHD is IPS but it did not say that on the order page.

20. mightaswell

Reputations:
    No mention of M.2 SSD slot in the configuration, seems odd.