T460s Is Here!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by BinkNR, Feb 23, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d2tbydt2

d2tbydt2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had a chat with 3 different Lenovo sales reps. One mentioned that the M.2 slot can accept either SATA or PCIe-NVMe SSD. The other two mentioned that this is not possible and I need to make a choice while buying. My original thought was to buy it with 128GB SATA SSD (cheapest) and then upgrade to the Samsung 512GB NVMe.
    Finally pulled the trigger with the 256GB PCIe SSD option. Didnt want to take the chance.

2. BinkNR

BinkNR Knock off all that evil

Reputations:
    Just figured I’d follow up and say I had zero issues replacing the SATA SSD with an aftermarket PCIe NVMe—the keying on the motherboard worked with both SSDs.

3. bikeoid

bikeoid Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks - are there physical size limits on the PCIe NVMe mounting space that would restrict aftermarket drives?

4. BinkNR

Reputations:
    For storage, both the existing chip and the one I replaced it with use the M.2 2280 form factor.

5. d2tbydt2

Reputations:
    @BinkNR - That is very encouraging. I am expecting mine next week.
    May I ask, which aftermarket SSD you used? SM951 or the 950 Pro?
    What was the part number for the original SATA SSD? I am curious to see which SATA SSD is M-keyed.
    Did you also upgrade the RAM? Which part number?
    Thank you.

*** EDIT *** - Just saw your signature. You upgraded to the 950 Pro. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  6. d2tbydt2

Reputations:
    @BinkNR - One more question (please) - Did you run any benchmarks before and after upgrading the SATA SSD to PCIe?
    What is the real world difference between the two?

Thanks.

7. BinkNR

Reputations:
    I went with the 950 Pro because it’s supposed to have a better warranty. As for the original SATA SSD, I don’t have it right in front of me, but it was the cheapest one. Regarding the RAM, I went with the Samsung M471A2K43BB1 because it was the cheapest (does that make me cheap ;) ?). As for benchmarking the SATA SSD versus the PCIe NVMe, I didn’t bother—there’s enough benchmarks out there that basically say the 950 Pro flies, but feels like it performs the same as “lesser” SSDs in real world scenarios.

8. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i was under the impression that M.2 was either SATA or NVMe but not both...is there a chip on the motherboard that determines what mode to run the SSD in?

does the t460s have any kind of fan or cooling for the M.2 slot? are you able to measure how hot the 950 Pro gets? i know HDSentinel can measure drive temps

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  9. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Many boards/BIOS can support both SATA or NVMe on an M.2 slot.

10. acaurora

acaurora Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Hi guys, just got my T460s earlier this week, thought I would post an interesting find... the TrackPoint caps are different! They're actually much shallower than before... (attached).

Does anyone know if Lenovo / elsewhere sells the other TrackPoints that we have all come to know and love in this new "slim" form factor? The default one works but I got so used to one of the other styles (soft rim) on my T450s... =\

In other news, the laptop's light weight surprised me versus my T450s. Keyboard does feel slightly shallower, the screen is great despite some reviews saying it is dim. Another interesting find is I believe that mine came with a Samsung 950 Pro in it... according to the model. That could explain the super speed... :)

Attached Files:

huntnyc, ALLurGroceries and BinkNR like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.