T460s Is Here!

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by BinkNR, Feb 23, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BinkNR

BinkNR Knock off all that evil

Reputations:
  2. d2tbydt2

d2tbydt2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    May I ask, which SSD option did you choose?

I was hoping to do an aftermarket upgrade to NVMe SSD, but the base (cheapo) SSD options are all SATA. So, I suspect the M.2 slot on the machine would be keyed for an M.2 SATA drive and not a PCI NVMe drive. I would have to shell out $250 to get the NVMe slot. Right?

Any recommendations?

3. BinkNR

Reputations:
    I plan to take the same route and went with the SATA SSD—Lenovo’s markup for the PCIe NVMe is obscene. I ASSUME the socket on the motherboard will support keying for either—I can’t imagine Lenovo producing two different motherboards—but I could be wrong. I’ll reply back with an update when I receive the hardware, but that might be a while.

Did some Googling and came across https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t460s/accessories/ACC100271 — I think taking the SATA route with an aftermarket PCIe NVMe should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2016
  4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm more inclined toward the T450s if it shows up in the outlet at a decent price like the T440s or maybe the L460, depending on whether you can get the backlit keyboard.

huntnyc likes this.
  5. BinkNR

Reputations:
    While the T460s is still not my ideal ThinkPad—perhaps the Retro ThinkPad will be if we see it this decade—this is the first time a 14” T Series is available with something better than FHD, so I wasn’t about to pass it up. Yes, it’s still not as good as Apple’s Retina, but Lenovo is wising up, although a bit too slowly perhaps.

6. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    Misleading clickbait title! :D Based on the title I thought you would have the T460s already^^

BinkNR likes this.
  7. BinkNR

Reputations:
    Not my intention ;) ! Honestly! Perhaps if I said “My T460s Is Here,” I’d agree with you more. Maybe the title should say “T460s is Here for Consumption by the Unwashed Masses!”

8. bikeoid

bikeoid Newbie

Reputations:
    Is it just me, or why is the system limited to 512Gb? It seems that so many people have passed that storage level some time ago. It is not always possible to store things on the server when traveling, and swapping projects in and out becomes tiring.

9. BinkNR

Reputations:
    It’s just you—welcome to SSD-only storage. You can always buy an aftermarket larger drive—and you could also buy an SD card.

10. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I already run my Dell at 125% DPI, so this does nothing for me. I'd love to have the best trackpoint back, but not enough to spend the money since I use my notebook probably less than five hours a week.

huntnyc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.