T440s up on Lenovo website (IPS Screen, 1080p)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by bdoviack, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airbus

Airbus Newbie

Reputations:
    I want a T440s with IPS FHD Touch Screen:mad:

2. jalag

jalag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I need to ask a stupid question about audio. The T440s specs show "Mini display port w/audio" as well as "audio/mike combo jack". How does this work exactly?

1: I'm watching a DVD(? on the external player?) with 5.1 Dolby Audio, hooked up to my HDTV via Mini display port-->HDMI converter, and I get full surround sound. Yes?
    2: I'm playing a game with 5.1 audio support through my HDTV via the mini display port. Can I get this computer-generated audio through the TV in full 5.1?
    3: If I'm doing #2 above, and the answer is "no" (only 2-channel stereo computer generated audio is supported), then does stereo come out my TV? Or do I need to hook up external speakers through the audio jack?
    4: If I'm doing #1 above, and playing a DVD rip (say, an MK4 file or even .mp4) can I get the 5.1 audio track through the mini display port with audio? Or is there some crazy digital rights management (like HDCP) that will be enforced; or, does the conversion process strip or convert the 5.1 audio track so it no longer has the speaker positioning information for 5.1?

I'm obviously very confused about the interaction between these audio systems. Can anyone enlighten me or point me to a good guide?

3. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AFAIK (and assuming the Dolby drivers are installed and working correctly, TV is set up properly etc.) you should be able to get up to 7.1 surround sound out through the display port > HDMI if the source material (DVD, game, MKV etc.) offers it. I believe the Dolby v4 tech can also create artificial 5.1 surround from plain old stereo input. I've never lost multi-channel audio when ripping a DVD, but YMMV

The Dolby T430s pages should help (I assume the same Dolby v4 system is used in T440s): Lenovo ThinkPad T430s with Dolby Home Theater v4

The stereo jack is just that... two channel, 3.5mm stereo output only for headphones etc.

4. capflam

capflam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Same here....

5. jalag

jalag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks pipspeak. But here's where I get confused (maybe I'm overthinking it). The Dolby pages say this:

So, it "applies processing" to the "source material." DVDs use recorded sound with multichannel markers, and I can see how the Dolby processing can tune that up to sound better. But for a game, which uses generated sound, isn't the "source material" the sound hardware in the ThinkPad? Is the ThinkPad's sound hardware (Realtek, I believe) capable of generating 5.1 or 7.1 sound programmatically, like a Sound Blaster?

Or can it only generate stereo, and let the Dolby Home Theatre processing emulate surround?

And if it can do 5.1 or 7.1 out, why not add an optical out to the docking station so we can use good desktop speakers? As far as I know, no desktop speakers have an "HDMI in" port.

6. MaX PL

MaX PL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    wait, the T440s is gonna have dedicated graphics?

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Those who want the IPS 1080p panel will have to wait a couple of months.

8. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is where I must punt to others more knowledgeable because I'm not really a gamer. Optical audio would be nice, but an easy workaround is to use USB for a digital audio out, either directly to an amp (I use USB to connect my headphone amp) or into a USB soundcard with spdif.

9. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was kinda surprised by that, too. If only Lenovo could now solder 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB then this could be a killer machine (except for the buttonless trackpad)

10. awj

awj Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The screengrab that @mitNick posted in #448 shows that if you want an i7 then you've got to put up with 8GB RAM.

But if you're willing to take an i5 then you can upgrade this to 12GB. Presumably this is due to cooling requirements, but it seems a bit of a contradiction: if you want the higher-powered CPU then you get less RAM, and vice vesa.

Lenovo did this last year with the X1C - they launched the i7 spec with a mere 4GB RAM, whereas the i5 spec offered 8GB. 3 months later - after I'd bought a different laptop - they finally launched an i7 with 8GB RAM. So how long are we going to have to wait to get a T440s with an i7 and a slot to upgrade the RAM?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.