T440s up on Lenovo website (IPS Screen, 1080p)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by bdoviack, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optomechanical

optomechanical Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess I don't understand your angle... Especially in the context of the t440s which has a soldered 4gb of ram.

If you're saying the measured improvement in gaming can't be attributed to the dual channel ram because the additional 4-8 GB may alleviate paging or something... Okay, although that article I linked to does a pretty thorough analysis to debunk that. Adding ram to this laptop results in a measurable gaming improvement regardless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2. JNavas

JNavas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In fact many apps can and do adjust their behavior to the amount of real memory available in order to optimize performance. Likewise the OS. When more real memory is available, for example, data can be preloaded to reduce delay when it's time to actually use it, and results can be cached for possible reuse. Memory fragmentation and garbage collection can also be affected. It's not just a matter of virtual memory swapping. And this isn't speculation -- it's based on a great deal of actual professional experience.

So we can't know for sure whether a change in RAM size is making a difference or not without a controlled experiment. That's a science term of art. It means results can only be valid when one and only one variable is altered. So to get a valid measure of the effect of the amount of installed RAM, we alter only the amount of RAM, not the number of modules. Likewise to measure the effect of single versus dual modules, we alter only the number of modules, not the amount of installed RAM (e.g., 2x2GB vs 1x4GB, or 2x4GB vs 1x8GB). Otherwise the results won't be valid, and we can only speculate.

With respect, that's nonsense. It's a simple matter to experiment (test) with modules that have identical specs regardless of size. Otherwise the results are not valid, as I explain in detail above. And I did not say I preferred "4x1 vs 2*2". In fact I prefer matched pairs of modules on a motherboard with dual channel memory support, even though the performance difference is small.

3. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree that bigger ram cache can improve performance for loading some stuff, but the focus is iGPU graphics performance here. In a benchmark there's only one scene anyway and everything has to be loaded at once (as long as it can).

I do believe it would be better to see identical RAM size single vs dual as well. Any one has some data of that kind?

4. phamhlam

phamhlam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. phamhlam

Reputations:
    I loved my T440s. It was great but after 6 months, I regret purchasing it. The only reason I went with Lenovo was because they had a great dock and a top notch keyboard and trackpoint. Unfortunately, the laptop speakers buzz all the time and it is annoying if I hear it.

If I had known about the issue, I would have bought an X240 which has very little problems. I can live with 8GB of RAM and the smaller screen if it means I get some peace. How did Lenovo screw up their top line machine?

Update: I decided to just put duct tape over the speakers. I will probably just unplug them in the future. I wish Lenovo just put sh*tty speakers in that don't buzz rather than this garbage.

Update #2: After a blue screen of death, I had to reinstall windows and I did a completely fresh install. The fingerprint scanner problem is gone and I realize you can now use it to log into secure website. I still hate the speaker.

6. Niro34

Niro34 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey
    I think i will switch from my vaio to the T440s for my new job in september (developpement) , i wondering, since 2 M.2 slot are available, is this possible to do a RAID 0 ?
    Is the option available in Bios ? Can somes peoples check if its available pls ?

thanks

7. phamhlam

Reputations:
    Why do you want to RAID 0 two SSD? That is very risky for not much reward unless you are a video editor.

8. Niro34

Niro34 Newbie

Reputations:
    Bahh, i already had two samsung 840 ssd in raid 0 and you can see a difference in speed rather than have only 1 , plus ssd are cheaper and cheaper today, how risky is ?
    I work sometimes with big files in the adobe suite (4/5GB+) , lot of multithread (firefox with 45-60 tab + photoshop + breackets etc etc )

Idk i think its a good plan to have the two M2 in raid 0 for 1GB/S speed partition for the OS and a traditional hdd in the 2.5 slot for file saving

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.