T440s up on Lenovo website (IPS Screen, 1080p)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by bdoviack, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kordis

kordis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Check in the bottom here for the results of T440p 730m. For t440s, drop 5-15% fps I guess.

2. pejx

pejx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. 4minuteslate

4minuteslate Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I play D3 just fine @ 1280x720 with some settings set to high, not as nice as I am used to with my desktop but decent enough for a "work" laptop.
    Got an i7 with 12gb of ram.

4. archish

archish Newbie

Reputations:
    Can few of the T440S owners stress test the CPU alone for 5 mins and check what speed the turbo boost settles down to.

5. livebriand

livebriand Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For general heavier use (not gaming), do you guys think a 4200U and the 4400 is sufficient or is it worth getting a T440p (full voltage CPU) and the 730M? I'm mostly worried about future-proofing.

I'm also worried about single-channel RAM (the only real downside I see to throwing an 8GB stick in there instead of 4GB), mainly for graphics.

6. mvkdev

mvkdev Newbie

Reputations:
    I would definitly not put a 8GB bar into it, in that case => because dual channel makes machines in general, a lot faster (simply said, its twice as much bandwidth the processor can address and access on your memory at the same time, you want that, and need that these days). 8GB in total is enough in my case, can i ask what you are planning to do with it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got my T440s since friday, and been a happy-kid since then, but i do have a few questions i hope somebody is able to answer:

I've updated my system to Windows 8.1, and ran the Lenovo system update software to get the latest of everything:
    What i wonder is, does this system come with Dolby Digital support or Dolby Theater? (this guy says we lost Dolby Theater, after upgrading to Win 8.1 https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T...e-Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-on-T440s/td-p/1509300 )

Only problem i have with this system is that when i turn on my bluetooth mouse (a HP z5000), the Realtek 2x2 M.2 card i have in my machine is going nuts, and drops the line to my WLAN router eventually.
    Are more people experiencing connectivity issues with this Realtek?

-Edit: According to Dolby we should have Dolby Theater on our devices, but have been downgraded to Digital Plus after upgrading to Windows 8.1, am i wrong?
    text on page says t440s, watch it: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/product/pc/laptop/lenovo-thinkpad-t430s.html

7. JNavas

JNavas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    With respect, the performance gain from dual channel memory is actually too small to notice in most cases (only a few percent), although it still makes sense to use it if possible.

Realtek is poor in general in my experience -- I avoid it whenever possible.

8. livebriand

Reputations:
    But what about the iGPU? I seem to recall something about Intel platforms being able to use part of a RAM module to make some of the RAM dual-channel though, not sure what it's called off-hand. (Ex. 4GB + 8GB = 4GB + 4GB used for dual-channel, plus 4GB for single.)

Seems OK for me, though I've had to turn off power-saving features in Device Manager to get the cards to work with certain APs (otherwise it frequently refuses to load things while claiming it's connected). Xirrus APs, for example.

9. JNavas

JNavas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    See Crucial FAQ: What is dual-channel memory?
    * Maximum gain is 10%. More typical gain is about 5%.
    * Benefit is in latency, not bandwidth.
    * Only works with pairs of exactly matched modules.
    * iGPU isn't a factor.

I would not consider that "OK".

10. livebriand

Reputations:
    How is iGPU not a factor? I've heard of plenty of iGPUs (including the HD4400 in the T440s) being much faster with 2 RAM modules so that at least some dual-channel functionality works. If you're talking about the iGPU affecting the rest of the system, then sure, it's not a factor. And yes, excluding the iGPU, single-channel RAM doesn't make much of a difference.

As for the power savings, yes, I'd like to not need that, but at least it works fine with that changed (though if they can't get it right to begin with, why bother trying?). The issue is rather reproducible though, both on my personal x120e and on the school's x120e, x130e, and x131e carts/labs, both under 7 and 8.x.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.