T440s up on Lenovo website (IPS Screen, 1080p)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by bdoviack, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicolaim

nicolaim Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can compare here Intel Core i7 2620M Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech

2. nicolaim

Reputations:
    The HP ZBooks are business grade, though I don't have much hope for their customer service and don't expect ThinkPad build quality.

3. B'midbar

B'midbar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    +1 on the HP ZBook 14. The T440s is now off the table for me, it's either the T440p or the HP machine, whichever one comes out first, but it looks like everything is coming out in October. Unless, of course, things get pushed out another month yet again.

4. NBReview1

NBReview1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This 50 Whr battery must fit inside the Zbook as it is an internal battery underneath the back cover. I do however like HP's removable back cover without needing screws. No idea on battery life but I don't think it will be in the 7 hours mark (unless maybe idle?).

Also, no idea why you guys are comparing this with a T440s. You should be comparing this laptop with the T440p.

Also, it's great you have your "dream" laptop but it's just a dream. No manufacturer can make it because there are too much self-conflicts in the specs and so there must be a compromise found.

iofthestorm likes this.
  5. pepper_john

pepper_john Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    HP said ZBook 14 meets the "Intel specification for ultrabooks". So it uses the ULV cpus.

6. logthought

logthought Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. iofthestorm

iofthestorm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There isn't too much data on that site at least (only a handful of reviews of machines using that CPU so far), but basically it's slightly slower than your CPU in some benchmarks and slightly faster in others. The numbers are pretty close either way, I think it'll be pretty comparable if a tad bit slower than your CPU. The 4600U which seems to also be an option would probably be slightly faster on average than your current CPU. The main innovation of Haswell is to get that performance of two years ago into half the power envelope; straight up performance is strong as always with Intel but that's not what they focused on for this generation. Or at least that's not what the ULV CPUs are focused on. Hope that helps!

8. nicolaim

Reputations:
    Why do you think the battery life will be worse than the T440s? The ZBook has 3 more Wh with the optional battery, the fanciest display has PSR (Panel Self Refresh) which lets the GPU idle when there's no display activity, improving battery life. Same Intel 4400 graphics are available.

The ZBook 14 is just a tiny bit larger than the T440s and uses the same CPUs. The weight is similar. Both are Ultrabooks. Why compare with the T440p which is in a completely different class?

There are still quite a few unknowns about the ZBook, but it has pretty much all the important things on my list:

YES, but 16:9. 14" or 15" 16:10 IPS matte LCD, at least 1440x900 on 14"
    YES. Two spindles, SSD + HDD
    YES. i7 with Iris 5000 or discrete GPU
    YES. 12 GB RAM, preferably 16 GB
    Unknown. 10-hour real battery life
    Unknown. 1 week sleep/standby battery life
    Mute only. Dedicated media keys (not combined with F-keys)
    YES. Similar or smaller size as my T410s
    YES. Similar or lower weight as my T410s (1.75 kg / 3.85 lbs)
    YES. 3 USB ports, at least one powered, at least two USB3
    YES. DisplayPort or mini DP
    YES. Ethernet
    YES. 802.11ac WiFi
    YES. SD card reader
    YES. Delete, Backspace, PgUp, PgDn, End, Home keys
    Unknown. A good keyboard
    Unknown. More or less silent at idle
    Unknown. No hair dryer noise at full load
    NO. No vents on underside
    Unknown. Indicator LEDs for charge, WiFi, HDD, sleep
    YES. 3-year warranty
    YES. Backlit keyboard or ThinkLight
    Not on bottom. Good speakers that aren't on the bottom
    NO. Magnetic power connector
    Unknown. Small and light AC adaptor
    YES. Webcam

Optional:
    NO. Expresscard
    NO. eSATA
    NO. Thunderbolt
    YES. Fingerprint reader
    NO. Page back/forward keys
    NO. Colourful chassis
    YES. Removable battery
    YES. Dock-compatible (at least something like the Onelink Dock)
    NO. Thin display bezel
    NO. Ports on the back (for a cleaner look when connected)
    YES. WiFi on/off switch

9. hicolour

hicolour Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope that one day will build machine for developers - something between T440s and T440p maybe T440d :) - I thought that t440s will be alternative for mac book pro but it isn't .

- quad core and slim profile ( apple can handle this .. I think lenovo can do it to..)
    - 16gb+ ram (if you're running two or more vm's this is really required )
    - 22-24 mm profile at its thickest point ( T440p has 27,9 it's even more than my T420s - two generation older..., it's nice to take your environment with you - that's why I'm buying notebook - I mean .. longer distance then to the nearest meeting room)
    - no ultrabay (no ultrabay/dvd - guys I really cannot understand why you're fighting so hard .. we have 21st century we can boot from usb :) )
    - graphic .. iris will be enough

and the last thing...

- no windows on board.. :)

10. 0utf0xZer0

0utf0xZer0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know whether the T440s and regular T440 use the same keyboard, or will the T440s have a version with less key travel? Just curious as I know Lenovo uses a shorter key travel on some really think models like the X1 Carbon - I recently had a chance to try out one of those next to a T430 and the X1C's shallower key travel was noticeable to me despite supposedly being a different of something like 1.8mm v. 2mm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.