T440s up on Lenovo website (IPS Screen, 1080p)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by bdoviack, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethyriel

Ethyriel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also higher quality, higher resolution screens. I loved my T60p, but it did have some heat issues.

2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Same as last year, no vPRO on 37W quads

3. Velocidad

Velocidad Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well I was first sceptical for removing opticals, now I'm with you, that's the future BUT if that piece cost for customer like 100$, why they don't reduce laptop price in that amount or give a free USB 3.0 stick?

4. Ethyriel

Ethyriel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The reason the optical drives cost so much, besides being proprietary, is thinning them out. They're being sacrificed to make the laptop thinner, so it only makes sense that the cost of the optical is transferred to engineering the laptop itself. More advanced roll cages, cooling, and such. Yeap.

But yeah, the optical drives were overpriced. With the way laptops have come down in price over the years, I don't expect a magical $100 savings, though. We've already seen the T400s drop a ton since its inception.

5. nicolaim

nicolaim Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The cost for Lenovo for an optical drive is probably around $15.

6. kaede

kaede Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    link is not accesible anymore :p

7. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
  8. jalag

jalag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see the T440s follows the design direction of removing TrackPoint buttons, which I suppose makes sense in an Ultrabook.

I haven't heard any speculation on what keyboard/light options might come in a larger T440 or T440p...

As an exclusive TrackPoint user (I turn off the pad), I'm afraid the integrated buttons could be a deal killer for me. I've been waiting until the T440 announcement to decide on a new system for work, and it's essentially the last straw. I would mourn the loss of indicator lights, but could replace them with taskbar widgets if I need to. I don't think I could go without the buttons, based on the reviews I've read (words like "disaster" come up).

I have a T430 at home, and have adapted to the island keyboard's feel - it's actually pretty good. However, as a writer I curse the new location of PgUp/Dn and Home/End every time I need to use them and really lose productivity and accuracy because of it. Without dedicated buttons, assuming the reviews are right - that they're hard to press, "clicky", difficult to find, and fussy - the keyboard basically becomes unusable for me.

Is there any chance that a larger T440 will at least have an option for dedicated TrackPoint buttons? I'd gladly trade the weight for the buttons.

Or, has anyone on the forum used the T431s keyboard and actually liked the TrackPoint buttons integrated into the TrackPad?

9. Kenstang

Kenstang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow...this has just totally messed me up. I ordered a Y410p but now that they are finally coming out with a Thinkpad that has a nice display I may have to rethink everything. This T440s sounds like the machine that I have been waiting for. Any ideas what the T440 will be? Do you think it will basically be a T430 but with the Haswell updates and display updates? Same chassis or maybe a tad bit smaller? What do you think the T440p is???? Anyone know when these will be released?

Also, do you think that the IPS 1600x900 would be better? I imagine that 1080p on a 14 inch screen would be incredibly small and tough to read....Unless you can get the 1080p screen and switch the resolution to 1600x900 without adding black bars to the screen, then just switch to 1080p when you are running something that would benefit from it.

10. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I looked at the T440s pictures, I looked like it has the same keyboard as your T430. I don't care much about the trackpad buttons as I am an external mouse user.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.