T440s Owner´s Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ibmthink, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moxxfusion

moxxfusion Newbie

Reputations:
    Just thought I would throw my weight on the screen discussion.

I received my T440s a few days ago and was extremely disappointed with the FHD screen (LG model). Spot lighting is very obvious, viewing angles are comparable to a TN panel. Screen is almost unreadable at any other angle than direct. Considering I spent almost $2k with taxes on this machine I was expecting MBp level of quality, I couldn't have been more wrong with that thought.

So began my escapades with the tech support people. After hours of explaining, and referencing several of the posts on this forum, I convinced them to have the LG screen replaced with a screen with the FRU# 04X0436. I called back 3 times to confirm that it would be replaced with that FRU number and nothing else. I did not ask about stock but he did say it would take 7-10 business days. I sent it out yesterday and hopefully will have it returned by the following week.

Any suggestions - If I were to refund the laptop, what would I get as a replacement? What laptop as the identical specs and looks good?

When I get it back I will post a video with the new screen, if it is better.

2. pjc123

pjc123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am currently going through the same thing. My t440s arrived at the repair depot yesterday and a tech called and left a message that said he could not see anything wrong with the panel. I suspect that Lenovo is in panic mode with so many returns, and now denying that there is a problem. In the original support ticket I mentioned the 3 problems I was having Including the spotlight effect, blacklight bleed and the sparkly unclear screen effect, and that viewing the screen was giving me headaches. I called back, but the techs were gone for the weekend, so I left instructions with a call center person on how to replicate the spotlight issue and further explained the other issues. Three different times I gave the AUO FRU # and mentioned that it did not have any of the above issues. If they will not fix it I am going to return it as this is an incredible amount of money to pay for such an inferior product, take the 15% restocking hit if that is the case, and never buy or recommend a Lenovo product ever again.

3. mazyarjr

mazyarjr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I went with Latitude E7440 over T440s (worked with both side by side) and haven't regretted it. They are similar in size and weight but Latitude comes standard with 3-yr warranty and it has 2 fully user-upgradable ram slots for maximum of 16GB ram, an available 2.5" internal bay for extra drives plus a fully functional track pad with discrete right and left click buttons. The only down side is a bit of flex in the keyboard, but the keyboard itself is very good to type for an ultrabook (and I type a lot). Incidentally, my E7440 also came with LG panel (LGD03EA, 140WF1), but it has none of the issues described here. Check out dell business outlet and using the 25-30% coupons they frequently offer, you can get a great value (I got mine with i7-7600u v-pro, 1x8GB ram, 512GB mSATA SSD, FHD non--touch display, dual band intel 7260ac 2x2 for just a bit above $800 while I think the SSD alone costs above $400). The other good think about outlet deals is that they ship right away if you are in hurry.

4. vinuneuro

vinuneuro Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I didn't turn up the speakers until today. They and the Dolby tuning are spectacular.

5. y.a.k

y.a.k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, it made me hate the speakers of my X201 :)

However, I tend to disable Dolby when using headphones because it sounds worse.

6. jimlee2

jimlee2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can someone please post a video/photo comparison between AUO and LG display?
    I have the LG display, not sure how to check for screen bleed, but it does seem to be glowing at the left bottom of the screen
    also is the upgrade to AUO for free if I request it?

7. kordis

kordis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know whether the new X1 Carbon (2560 x 1440) display can be put to T440s?

8. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    Could be possible. Connectors are likely to be the same, both use eDP. However, I don´t know if the UEFI BIOS will be problematic.

9. zero9t

zero9t Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for your information. I am not that high tech and I guess that is the way it is with the LG panel. According to DocFire's suggestion, it seems AUO panel will be the best bet. I called the service and they would agree for refund but not replacement of AUO panel. I am not sure that I should spend my time on calling tech support and waiting for the replacement. I do not really feel that the T440s is superior to my old T400 with 1400x900 display, which is brighter and crispier :) / :(. So I will return this for a refund. It's really a bummer because T440s seems to be a very good machine to me and I would really like to keep it, but every time when I looked at the blurry screen I think I will hate to keep it.

This brings up the same question as moxxfusion, any suggestion for a replacement laptop?

10. rney

rney Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

I'm having a problem to install windows 7 pro on my Lenovo t440s ( that came with windows 8 ) using a memory stick.
    I went to the windows 7 installation menu and formatted the Windows 8 partition, so now I have :

Disk 0 Partition 1: WINRE_DRV 1GB OEM
    Disk 0 Partition 2 : System_DRV 260MB System
    Disk 0 Partition 3 128MB MSR
    Disk 0 Unnallocated Space 225GB ( it was the old windows 8 partition )
    Disk 0 Partition 4: Lenovo_Recory 12.1GB OEM

However, when i try to use the free space to install the windows 7 i get this error :
    " Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partitions style. "

I tried to bot using Legacy Boot Only and after using UEFI/Legacy Boot and nothing changed, I'm still receiving the same error.
    I read that I have to select each of the partitions on the drive, and select Delete. Then the drive will show a single area of unallocated space that I should use to install windows.

My question is, there is any problem in delete all my partitions of Lenovo T440s? Can I delete the OEM partitions?
    What will happen after?

Thank you for the attention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.