T440s Owner´s Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ibmthink, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HKINGS

HKINGS Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My dad has the AUO in his Touch model and the whites seem whiter and brighter than my AUO Non-Touch. Both look to have the same display model number as well in regedit. Wonder if the touch has a brighter backlight.

My blacks seem a tad blacker, but not that much. Right now the semi-gloss isn't bothering me much, but in Daylight I could see how it would. Must decide what I want to do.

2. albright

albright Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all. My T440s arrived today.

IMO, the screen is magnificent, the touchpad wonderful, and in general
    everything is peachy.

Except windows. Soon it will be rplaced, but I have one small question.

I've made a recovery usb stick which will boot the computer. Is there any
    way to verify the integrity of the recovery disk short of actually re-installing
    my system? My apologies, but I find it hard to navigate in windows 8, and
    am hoping there is some way to run a verification program.

Thanks for any advice.

3. albright

albright Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    more on my new T440s - running a mint linux from usb stick. Lots of problems with touchpad as
    as been reported in this (and other threads). Linux (default settings) doesn't handle the button
    zones very well and the pointer tends to jump around when you try to push.

Here's a curious thing - I ordered the intel wifi chip with - supposedly - only 2.4 ghz
    support. In windows, I only see the 2.4 networks when I started up.

In linux both 2.4 and 5 ghz networks are visible and work. I don't understand
    that at all (probably somewhere in windows you configure to see all
    networks???).

4. DocFire

DocFire Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey,

since a few hours I am also owner of a T440S in Germany.

Unfortunately they sent me a T440s with a LG-Panel which i looked up in Bios.

Now Iam asking myself if I should considert to send it back, to ask for the tech and bring in an new AUO-Panel or just to live with the LG-Panel.

For answering this question it is necessary for me to know if the AUO Panel is so much superior to the LG-Panel that I should do everything to get it changed.

As far as i could find informations in this forum, all of them say the AUO is a little bit better but both display have a very good quality ("mercedes vs bmw"). If this is clearly our position then I am ready to live with the LG one. But if there is a clear quality difference, I am not ready to accept this.

What would you guys say?

Kind regards

5. Terre

Terre Newbie

Reputations:
    opinion is like an ....... , everyone has one :rolleyes:

6. kordis

kordis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    delete plix plox

7. kordis

kordis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What is your model number ? ty

8. tokkun

tokkun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Both Intel chips support Wireless-N on 5 GHz. The difference between them is whether they support Wireless-AC.

9. HKINGS

HKINGS Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you have the touch screen?

10. vinuneuro

vinuneuro Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My screen was replaced yesterday. The AUO blows that LG away and is what it should have been in the first place. Because of the lack of graininess in the anti-glare coating, everything looks much sharper now. Viewing angles are also now what they should be for an IPS display. Whites are warmer relative to the LG, but imo it's because the LG is too cool (too blue) which makes them look 'whiter.' Properly calibrated displays have always initially look too warm in my experience.

Like HKINGS, my On-Site replacement itself it was a disaster. I got the most heavy-handed tech possible. Nice guy, but I thought surely something was going to break the way he was doing things. He didn't put it back together correctly either and things weren't lining up correctly everywhere. He ordered a replacement lid, screen, and bezel assemblies but I'll probably cancel that. After he left I re-did the whole thing, and it's ok now. I'm still on track to receive a replacement which is supposed to ship by the end of the month. If that doesn't have the AUO, I'll swap screens and probably keep that one, just knowing what this one's been through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.