T440s Owner´s Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ibmthink, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chukwe

chukwe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I couldn't find any info about the IPS Screen or the manufacturer in the BIOS

2. kordis

kordis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is definitely not the speakers. I can clearly hear the sound is coming from the inside of the computer. I will go to warranty this week and see what they tell me.

3. Waldo

Waldo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll add that the smartcard reader option can only be selected on SSD models, as it resides in the area under the battery where the HDD model's caching SSD would be installed in that configuration. I required the smartcard reader, thus losing that m.2 slot was my subsequent trade-off. Be aware of that consequence if you're on the fence about SSD/HDD/smartcard/m.2 options.

Also, in line with the "order barebones and perform DIY upgrades" train of thought, I would recommend against getting the touchscreen simply for the AUO screen unless touch functionality is specifically desired. Instead, I ordered mine with the HD+ (not FHD or touch screen) and will replace with an AUO B104HAN01.2 FHD screen I ordered from a third-party; that's $200+ in savings, plus you get a matte screen. This end-user modification seems to intimidate a lot of people, but rest assured that it's a quite simple, 5-10 minutes swap.

With regard to linux, the latest Crunchbang linux (based on Debian stable) did not recognize ethernet or wifi out of the box, even with updated kernel firmwares and drivers for those specific modules. I could have jumped through hoops to achieve compatibility by updating the kernel itself, but both worked automagically in Arch linux without fuss. I even managed a UEFI + Secure Boot install, though I later disabled Secure Boot.

4. chukwe

chukwe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    $200+ saving from FHD & HD+? That's alot. On the Lenovo UK site when I ordered mine 3 weeks ago, the difference was just £14.40. Why the huge price difference in the US?

5. b2002

b2002 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Excellent suggestion. I did get used to the touchscreen with a Yoga 13, so for me that tilted the scales.

6. Waldo

Reputations:
    At the time I ordered (US), going from HD+ to FHD was $140. Going from HD+ to touch screen was $300 (taxes apply to both upgrades). The FHD cost me $100 from a third-party. I can't speculate on upgrade pricing disparity in differing markets without additional details regarding UK/EU models, particularly base price and promotions at the time of your observation.

7. b2002

b2002 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here is a cost comparison for a well equipped T440s factory configured vs basic model that is owner-upgraded to higher specs. The finished product is i7, 500gb SSD (actually 750gb total for the DIY), 12gb RAM, non-touch screen. The DIY cost includes $100 for an AUO screen (may or may not need that) and the factory total does not. The DIY total also includes the cost of 2 128gb m.2 SSDs - not included with the factory total (and the factory version with SSD only has one m.2 slot available). The factory cost is $1972 and the owner upgrade version cost is $1710. These prices are for the USA, parts from Amazon and eBay.

Parts
    2 m.2 SSD 158
    EVO 840 500gb 250
    Crucial Ram 8gb 84
    AUO screen upgrade 100
    total parts 592

i7+500gb HDD T440s 1118
    Total with parts 1710

By the way, physically remove an SD card before removing the back cover....

8. Eddieva

Eddieva Newbie

Reputations:
    i have a question, i have the t440s with a smart card reader and mobile simcard. i would like to use a m.2 slot for the 30 day sleep function. is it possible to swap my smartcard reader for a m.s ssd?

9. Waldo

Reputations:
    Not easily, no. The smartcard reader has a different interface. You'd need an m.2 ribbon cable to connect to the motherboard as well as the adapter to house the m.2 SSD itself.

10. Waldo

Reputations:
    edited: double post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.