T440s Owner´s Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ibmthink, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phamhlam

phamhlam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You don't. Windows 8 will be automatically activated upon install. When installing from a USB, the installer skips the product key section because the machine already has the product key built in.

win4u likes this.
  2. SportsTravel

SportsTravel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, 1 Full week with my New Lenovo Think Pad T440s

Not too many problems, YET. but I did run into a Semi Problem since I Built it with a Integrated Mobile Broadband
    Sierra Wireless 7355 - Gobi 5000 card with a Verizon SIM card.

It began with that I didn't know how to find the card information when I called Verizon to add this new device to a Mobile Plan.
    After giving the IMEI & IMSI #'s, along with the SIM card number. They couldn't find it on their list
    So I went through Hoops to finally have them say they will need to send the info in, to get the Ok to activate my Thinkpad.
    This was even after the Verizon tech had to talk to a Lenovo Tech.

Verizon says it will take 1-3 days for them to get the Ok

another problem, which might be apart of the first problem is when you go check out the network panel on the right side. I have no problem turning Airplane Mode, On & Off, or WiFi. But when it comes to Broadband Mobile, it won't switch to On.

I know I read somewhere that there was a few problems going the Verizon SIM card route, but I didn't want AT&T because all my other devices are Verizon.

Anybody have similar problems ?? and if so, what did you do ? was it fixed ? or did you have to change to a different SIM card company ?

3. SportsTravel

SportsTravel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I thought I would have a problem with it as well. But it's not that bad. I got use to it in no time.

4. lordnikon

lordnikon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    New T440s owner here. Checked the specs and I got the HD IPS LG screen.

I'm happy with the screen and there isn't any spotlight syndrome. I don't know what people are on about.

5. kordis

kordis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been using my t440s for around 2 months now. I recently spotted that my keyboard had a slight, nearly invisible tilt in the area near the trackpad. I tried removing the keyboard and found out that the water resistant seal was placed incorrectly and my keyboard wasn't water resistant at all.

The issue I ran into now is my processor I think. When the fan is off there is a clearly audible crackling sound, I believe it is coming from the processor since I don't have HDD but SSD instead. It is not loud but annoying when I'm in a library or just in some quiet place. Does anyone else's computer produce this sound? I'm thinking of going to warranty.

6. lordnikon

lordnikon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The crackling noise is probably from the sound system. I don't think the processor will make such a noise as you described. Unless it's high pitched which could come from the fan or piezoelectric effect from the CPU.

7. chukwe

chukwe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How can I find the IPS Screen manufacturer? LG or AUO?

8. phamhlam

Reputations:
    Best bet, it is the speakers. Just put your ears next to the speaker holes and see if that is it. If it is, I recommend taking off the back cover and placing duct tape over the holes. It will significantly reduce the noise and when you do listen to music, you won't notice a difference.

9. phamhlam

Reputations:
    Upon boot up, go to your BIOS. It should be on the first page.

10. b2002

b2002 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have had my T440s for just over a week now. It is a very nice computer and I’m pleased with it. However, I would change the configuration if I ordered one again.

If I could start over, I would order a machine with the touchscreen and an i7 processor but keep the disk and ram options at the minimum (standard HDD, 4gb ram) and do the upgrade to a SSD and 8-12gb ram myself and add two m.2 128gb SSDs at the same time. I found my configuration did not include a m.2 connector under the internal battery so I could only add one m.2 SSD. There is an unused connection on the motherboard that would normally have a ribbon connector attached for the m.2 cache SSD on the HDD version, and I am interested in a way to use that connector if anyone knows where to get a ribbon connector. The back cover is a bit of a pain to remove, but is definitely doable with some patience and care.

I loaded Xubuntu onto part of the m.2 drive and it is working well out of the box except that it is not detecting an SD card yet. I loaded it so that the Win8 bootloader was unaffected - when I want Linux I use the F12 key during boot instead of going to grub all the time.

So for those of you out there with some computer hardware ability who are deciding whether to order using Lenovo’s SSD, memory options vs upgrading yourself, my experience points to the later. You will get the extra m.2 slot, and more bang for your money too. This is a great laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.