T440s Owner´s Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ibmthink, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zizo79

zizo79 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got this from the Lenovo Outlet for $1224 in new condition!!

t440s.png

2. zizo79

zizo79 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just saw the display.. hmm

3. tyranimo

tyranimo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    display can be changed i guess! dont regret LOL go buy your AUo screen and be happy with it.

What's the diff with the outlet btw? Are they refurbished?

4. zizo79

zizo79 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The one I got is new. You can get refurbished one as well and they Oth have an upgradable one year warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

5. tsh

tsh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They are most likely to be new; probably returned by some early adopters. The only issue I have with these is their warranty period. 1 year is short when compared to the ones you get from retail outlet.

6. ammarr

ammarr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just received my order for the FHD Touch version from Jan 21st, shipped to Toronto. Some quick impressions:

Screen: As expected, its the AUO and it looks great. Does seem semi-glossy though, wouldn't call it matte. The other thing that I noticed is that after using a higher res (retina :rolleyes: ) display, text on this one definitely seems pixelated in comparison. IMO even FHD on a 13" screen looks much better.

Keyboard: I like it. Didn't have too much trouble adapting from the keyboard on my T420.

Trackpad: It is definitely very clacky. My current feeling is that I will get used to the new trackpoint buttons with some effort. It is by no means a deal-breaker.

Build quality: is superb so far. Feels very sturdy. Definitely a step up over the T420. I think Lenovo has made all the right changes here. The new look is very nice.

So, I'm mostly happy. Will update after putting in a new SSD, upgrading RAM and installing Linux. The only issue is that the screen res is still not high enough for a 14". I would prefer a higher res which I can then use with scaling. This might end up being the reason that I return this. Maybe playing around with text anti-aliasing settings will fix this.

4minuteslate likes this.
  7. tyranimo

tyranimo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Congrats!

Yeah mine is super sturdy too :)

happy about mine, just that the trackpad surface is not as smooth as what the mac's are like, i feel it has generates too much friction, what do you think?

other than that, its great!

8. vinuneuro

vinuneuro Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The most recent T440s I got matches what you are experiencing. The trackpad is silent when you click it, but the surface feels more rubbery with more friction. The earlier units had a noisy trackpad when you clicked, but the surface was glass smooth, even better than Mac's. Can't win with Lenovo's quality, depends on whether you prefer trackpint or trackpad.

9. y.a.k

y.a.k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The AUO screen arrived today and I just did the swap. The spotlight effect is gone! Yay!

I turned it on before putting the plastic bezel back on. I noticed that pressing on the right or bottom edge of the display caused severe backlight bleeding. I kept it on while putting it back together and made sure everything was in place and nothing was deforming the panel. As a result I have no leaks.

Now, what do I do with the LG screen? If I knew I would've bought the HD+ version. But all in all I'm very happy.

Here's where I bought the screen:
    Brand new A+ B140HAN01.1 B140HAN01.2 LCD Screen 1920*1080 IPS LCD Screen -in Laptop LCD Screen from Electronics on Aliexpress.com
    They have both .1 (glossy) and .2 (matte) versions, you have to tell them which one you want.
    They have a zero dead pixel guarantee and mine indeed has none.
    Shipment with DHL Express from Hong Kong to Germany took 3 days.

Interestingly, the sticker on the back seems to cover another one, with a Lenovo FRU:
    http://s3.postimg.org/p56oo4af7/IMG_2313.jpg

The screen's Hardware ID in device manager is LEN40A3 which also indicates that it's Lenovo branded. The model number in EDID is of course B140HAN01.2.

10. fjodor

fjodor Newbie

Reputations:
    Nice, was it difficult to replace the screen?
    Did you have to pay import taxes with DHL?
    It seems like a good plan, when you order a new laptop, to go for the HD+, and get a AUO screen yourself. Is it the same connector for HD+ and FHD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.