T440s LG/AUO Screen replacement

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by guydbg, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guydbg

guydbg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello
    I got my T440s from ebay seller who ships internationally, since lenovo doesn't ship to my country.
    It came with the LG panel, which is noticeably worse than the AUO one. It has light bleeding / light leak problem.
    My local IBM service provider are picking my machine this sunday, and as they said, they will only test that the screen is not damaged and that it works properly. they didn't hear about the random variance in the T440s screen panel.

I was also thinking about getting the panel from here Laptop LCD Screen for AU Optronics B140HAN01 2 14 0" Full HD | eBay, i don't mind paying 100$ more for a significantlly better screen.
    How hard will it be to replace the screens myself? and will IBM agree to do the replacement if i will provide the panel myself?

Your opinions are welcomed.

2. vinuneuro

vinuneuro Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would not involve IBM if you buy the screen yourself (if they won't under warranty). It is a very easy replacement. Remove bezel sheet and bezel, and replace the screen. Takes about 5-10 min. Having used both screens $100 is cheap considering the improvement. I was going to myself if that happened.

3. guydbg

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply!
    is the bezel easy to remove? i'm afraid to harm it somehow. and is the AUO panel that ships with the T440s is identical to the ebay item I posted?

4. guydbg

Reputations:
    My new auo screen arrives in couple of days, but I still don't have an extra bezel... Where can I get one? I haven't found any on eBay. Will my local IBM send me one?

5. Peripatetic

Peripatetic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If your local IBM will honor your warranty, then you should be able to get one from them. But you might not actually need one. I've taken mine off and put it back on twice now, and it looks identical to when it came from the factory, so it's got a bit more durability than I thought. Just be careful when you remove it and it should be fine.

Let us know how the eBay AUO works out for you. I might have to do the same eventually.

6. guydbg

Reputations:
    Thanks... Is it supposed to be removed from the bottom first? Or in which direction?

7. Peripatetic

Peripatetic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It was actually easier to remove from the top first. The first time I did it I removed from the bottom, but it's a little thinner at the top and so it's easier to pry up. It's just a sticker anyway, so no real difference which side you do first.

8. guydbg

Reputations:
    Thanks... i'll have you updated once i get the screen. hope all goes well.

9. lanzi

lanzi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello there, any updates to your DIY feat?

I will be doing the same upgrade in a few days, with either the B140HAN01.1 or B140HAN01.2 screens. I will see to take a few photos during the process. Does anyone know a specific difference between the two versions of the screen though? There are both glossy and matte versions of these displays, but are there any other screen parameter differences one should be aware of?

10. zhenya00

zhenya00 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just some suggestions for anyone attempting to do this on your own.

The front bezel on the non-touch version is just a sticker, so you need to pry it off. I would suggest prying from one of the upper or lower corners on the outside edge away from the lcd screen surface. Just behind the sticker the LCD screen ends and there is another sticker that is part of the LCD assembly that is easy to damage if you are not very careful. You might also consider using a little bit of heat from a hair dryer or heat gun (VERY little) which softens the glue and makes removing the bezel much easier if you intend to re-use it. Also, if you intend to re-use it, work slowly and try to keep the adhesive on the bezel side as opposed to sticking to the old LCD as you lift it. Trim any damaged bits of adhesive before replacement to make sure it sits flat again.

The plastic bezel underneath the sticker needs to be pried off carefully which is relatively simple. When replacing, watch the antenna cables on the bottom and make sure the bottom latches are seated before working towards the top (close the lid and look from the back bottom to be sure).

Also watch the microphone holes for alignment on each side of the camera. Behind the sticker are two rubber pieces that must remain seated properly otherwise they will block the holes when you replace the bezel.

Fam Money, xii, XimmoX and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.