T440p Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by blackspawn, Dec 21, 2013.

1. turqoisegirl08

turqoisegirl08 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @mikeb.84. My experience with mismatched frequencies is YMMV. Some Thinkpads handle it fine and others (even within the same series) may throw a BSOD or refuse to boot to desktop. Not sure what downtime would cost you but in all practicality I would play it safe and purchase a stick with matching frequencies.

2. MatteMe

MatteMe Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm sporadically having the problem where a relatively fully charged battery won't turn back on unless it's plugged back in first.

The laptop is typically hibernated on a full charge and won't turn back on an hour later unless I plug it in first. I have 2 135W AC adaptors (home/work) and both usually do the trick for making it turn on, but it's somewhat embarrassing not to be able to boot up without an AC adaptor.

Anyone else have or have fixed this issue?

3. pjc123

pjc123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any rumors of a T450P? After returning my T440s last year I might try again if they consistently put decent FHD screens in the T series this time instead of the LG garbage.

4. nosingchum

nosingchum Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought a T440p last month and just swapped the LCD panel with the AUO version. I'm reporting my findings before and after the switch.

My model arrived with the (expected and much maligned) LG display (LP140WF1-SPK1). I had hoped for AUO but this was not the case. Anyway, the LG display wasn't as bad as some of the earlier ones reported here and from videos posted. Sharpness and colour seem good to very good - no problems after calibration. The "spot light" effect is still there but to a lesser degree. Light bleed was very minimal. However, viewing angles are not great - you need to position your head dead center - and this was a deal breaker for me. Brightness changes significantly around 20-30 degress from center.

I did some research and decided to give the AUO display (B140HAN01.2) a shot. It was less than $100. I ordered from ALI express Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is Brand new A+ B140HAN01.2 Laptop LCD LED Screen for T440P T440S matte surface 1920*1080 14.0" Full HD. It arrived after 3 weeks; they shipped the 1.2 version (and not 1.1).

I took some photos and videos of the LG display before I installed the AUO display.Replacing the LCD panel was easy (though, I had a scare when the screen turned off in a few seconds after booting the laptop - the issue went away after I reinstalled the LCD).

After a day of use and careful comparison with the former LG, these are my comments:

1. Viewing angles are definitely improved. Brightness changes very slightly off center. This is the main reason to get the AUO display.

2. The spot light effect is greatly reduced, though not completely eliminated. I could have lived with this on the LG if the LG had better viewing angles.

3. Colour and sharpness of the AUO is looks "about the same" as the LG.

4. Light bleed is about the same as the LG. Very minimal and nothing to complain about.

5. No dead pixels on the AUO. The LG had only one.

In short, it is definitely worth the upgrade. There is hope if you received an LG display; you can swap it out with minimal cost.

buckling spring likes this.
  5. pipspeak

pipspeak Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Curious about that as well. The subtle changes in the design of the T450 (non-p) are all positive IMO, but I want a quad-core processor and FHD screen.

6. slightboyme

slightboyme Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I just bought a T440P. Quick question: is it normal that my lid sort of slops quite a bit when I hold it upwards, i.e. hold the machine by the hinge side?

I came from T420 so I did not expect this.

Thanks in advance!

7. Incontro

Incontro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  8. slightboyme

slightboyme Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,

It is similar but my T440P is fine when sitting on a desk. What I am concerned about is when I hold the machine by the hinge side and the lid upwards(like when you would normally carry a laptop on the go), the lid tends to "open up" a bit. And when I shake the machine in that position, you can see the lid is quite flexy.

Thanks

9. Chemengineer15

Chemengineer15 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi fellow T440p owners, I have a touchpad related question. My T440p touchpad has a shiny or polished of orb in the middle and is seen only at an angle with light shining on it. Is this normal in the t440p. Your replies are appreciated.

Sample pic from net mine is a bit bigger orb: http://imgur.com/u06Dt47,bZa7Qm4,rnfxZBg,tEfsNmR

Its not oil as no amount of cleaning is making it better. Minute particles of paint were coming off on the initial week of use. My brothers t440 shows the same wear and previous z400 had the orb in the middle too.

looking for your experiences and comments to sooth my OCD.

10. huongly3590

huongly3590 Newbie

Reputations:
    i am very good thinkpad t440p and i thinks i will use it in along time